• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Prologue question

Roll your eyes, it's another post on prologues!

I have an idea for a prologue for my current WIP, which takes place a few months (I don't know exactly how long, but all the characters aren't much younger than they are in chapter 1) prior to the start of the story proper and sees our Hero, a gladiator, putting a man to death for spreading seditious and heretical notions. On the one hand, I like the idea because it demonstrates some of the flaws in the protagonist and his world better than chapter 1, where the protagonists more straight up heroic qualities are on display and, since the first six chapters are exclusively in his POV, the world is presented through his rose tinted contacts.

On the other hand, I'm less than certain about it because it doesn't really have anything to do with the main thrust of the story- although you could argue it foreshadows many of the issues of the protagonists character arc- and when you get down to it its about the execution of a dissident and a lot of people aren't going to get onside with the executioner in that scenario.

What do people think, does it sound like a good idea or not?

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
On the one hand, I like the idea because it demonstrates some of the flaws in the protagonist and his world better than chapter 1, where the protagonists more straight up heroic qualities are on display and, since the first six chapters are exclusively in his POV, the world is presented through his rose tinted contacts.

Is the prologue told from his POV as well? Then I would agree with the that it should be chapter 1, and that getting inside your character's head for this scene would be a good way of developing your own concept of the character and his thoughts.

Is the prologue told from someone else's POV? Why?

I agree with everyone else. A prologue should be used to tell a part of the story that is separate from the rest of the tale. It catches the reader up with the world of the story, or gives important back-story. A prologue sets the stage for the story they are about to read.
It sounds like the voice of your protagonist belongs as a first chapter.

JCFarnham

Auror
I would always hesitate to write a prologue. Oh and if you do, it might even be best to call it anything BUT a prologue. So my advice would be to read some books which do have prologues and decide for yourself whether they work or not, take the good bits, get rid of the bad bits, and above all else make sure it has relevance.