• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Question on plot structure, in regards to closed and open settings.

C_OReilly

Scribe
Hello,
I'm currently writing a Reflection Statement for my Extension 2 English Major Work and am discussing how I initially developed my story into a closed-setting but felt this would remove much of the adventure aspect, therefore I developed it into a plot structure that moves from closed-setting to closed-setting, e.g. a boat trip, an underground hideout and then a palace.
In between this is of course, was travel... The characters being out on the open road moving between places. Is this development in plot structure really worth mentioning? Or given that the characters are engaging in travel in the story, this makes it an open-setting tale... Meaning I would simply state I changed the plot structure to an open-setting?

Thanks.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
I'm not clear on what you're asking but I think you want to know if you have to talk about the travel between closed settings?

If that's the question, the answer is No. You don't have to.... Talking about travel is fine IF there's something that happens during that travel... Something important to the story.

shangrila

Inkling
It depends. Does anything important happen, plot or character wise, during the open sections? If not, I probably wouldn't exactly go into detail about it; it is, after all, just filler. But I would mention it in some degree, just to cover yourself.

Helen

Inkling
I developed it into a plot structure that moves from closed-setting to closed-setting, e.g. a boat trip, an underground hideout and then a palace.
In between this is of course, was travel... The characters being out on the open road moving between places. Is this development in plot structure really worth mentioning? Or given that the characters are engaging in travel in the story, this makes it an open-setting tale... Meaning I would simply state I changed the plot structure to an open-setting?

Thanks.

The travel bit is massive in story theory. Very much worth mentioning.

Look at it as a filmmaker would - three sets. So each is contained in its own way, if you want to wrap it in those terms.

Something important happens on each set.