• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Quirky Behaviors and Traits of a Supernatural Species

ShadeZ

Maester
Looking for ideas of strange habits, quirks, behaviors, likes, dislikes for a species of supernatural in my books. This species is highly predatory and has a sleek muscled humanoid appearance, feline eyes, fangs and nails that could function like claws, they are almost always over 100 years old and the older "adult" ones exceed thousands of years, they tend to have a cat like mannerism and can range from playful to sadistic. Here is what I have so far.
-Their breathing and heart stop when they are excited.
- Their blood is silver
-Their spit is acidic.
-They always have glowing tattoos.
-Their body temperature is rarely normal often being either ice cold or blazing hot.
-They are carnivorous almost exclusively
-They love naturally sweet things especially apples and honeycomb.
-They are immune to alchohol unless it was made with apples/honey and/or is older than they are.
-They are highly intuitive to the thoughts of other species.
-If you exsanguinate them they wont die but will drink tons of water. No one knows why not even them.
-They can puppeteer their physical body. If you decapitate them they reattach their head. If you destroy the head they spawn a new one.
-They are incapable of hate.
-They cant hit certain keys singing
-They make as many animal noises as human ones.
-If a human says Please they are forced to hear them out.
-Their skin is often metallic hues without a metallic sheen
-Their eyes glow when their experiencing severe emotion or determination.

A few things come to mind, just throwing them out there:

One, which is just pulled from our own world, is if they have true feline eyes but no whiskers, then maybe they should have trouble seeing things close up. I believe a cat cannot focus on objects closer than a foot from their eyes and have to rely on their whiskers to make sense of those items for them.

And what about having that breathing and the heart stopping being fatal or, at the very least, damaging to their brain/motor functions like a stroke. That would create an interesting role for a type of "hunter" who could prey on them.

If they love natural sweeteners, maybe manufactured sweeteners are another potential pitfall/poison?

And, if you cannot tell, I'm always a little skeptical of any hint of invincibility. lol So, of all of your traits listed, this is the one I found a bit much: -They can puppeteer their physical body. If you decapitate them they reattach their head. If you destroy the head they spawn a new one.

It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me at all, but what if the "puppeteering" is possible only by another of the species on a body that has been decapitated or is rendered brain dead? :)

Best of luck!

ShadeZ

Maester
Interesting ideas. The vision thing would actually make sense in one way. Their eyes are made for seeing through magic and tract very rapidly moving things. It would be ironic if as a result moving fairly slowly renders you invisible to them.