• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Race based on region and NOT skin color.

Addison

Auror
I think it could work, as it's already a part of reality. People judge other people based on their income. In big cities people are judged by what neighborhood they grew up and/or live in. People are judged by their accent or state they live in. I think a while ago a newcomer in town filed a harassment charge on a coworker who talked to him in such a condescending, degrading, arrogant way just because he was from Arkansas. The charges stuck.

So your plan can work. If you feel it works for your story, use it. Happy Writing. :)

I think it could work, as it's already a part of reality. People judge other people based on their income. In big cities people are judged by what neighborhood they grew up and/or live in. People are judged by their accent or state they live in. I think a while ago a newcomer in town filed a harassment charge on a coworker who talked to him in such a condescending, degrading, arrogant way just because he was from Arkansas. The charges stuck.

So your plan can work. If you feel it works for your story, use it. Happy Writing. :)

Economics is what we judge happiness by in America.

WooHooMan

Auror
But there are not "tons" of races in Africa. The Bantu, Khoi, San, Zulus, Xhosa, Kikuyu, Luo, etc are not races by any stretch of the word. Those are ethnic or cultural groups. They are no more different races than Norwegians and Italians are not different races.

Let's settle on a definition of race. Are we using the definition used by modern biologists, which basically amounts to minor variations in facial structure? Or are we using the old definition used by scientists back in the 1800s and early 1900s?

The point I was trying to make with that post is that which definition of "race" you use is whatever definition you choose to use.
Why are we even talking about negroids or caucasoids? This is Mythic Scribes: we could just as easily be talking about elves and dwarves.

I was just trying to suggest Celts and Indians (and Africans) as research material for ChrisNGibbs. I'm not in the slightest bit interested in discussing or defining race in the real world. I get enough of that at my day job.

Economics is what we judge happiness by in America.

I'm going to steal this quote. It's so true.

Last edited:

ChrisNGibbs

Acolyte
The point I was trying to make with that post is that which definition of "race" you use is whatever definition you choose to use.
Why are we even talking about negroids or caucasoids? This is Mythic Scribes: we could just as easily be talking about elves and dwarves.

I was just trying to suggest Celts and Indians (and Africans) as research material for ChrisNGibbs. I'm not in the slightest bit interested in discussing or defining race in the real world. I get enough of that at my day job.

I'm going to steal this quote. It's so true.

When you mean Indian, you do mean East India right? Just being sure.

Last edited:

WooHooMan

Auror
When you mean Indian, you do mean East India right? Just being sure.

I meant the people of the nation of India but any region qualifies. Though, if I'm not mistaken, East India isn't especially ethnically diverse - at least, no more so than any other region.

Russ

Istar

We were discussing negroids etc because someone suggested that there are "tons" of races in Africa and Africa is a real place, with real people that can be discussed in a real context. There are not "tons" of races there.

I do not think their are elves or dwarves in Africa living alongside the Xhosa.

The word "race" has a meaning. If one is going to have conversations with other people in the same language that meaning needs to have value.

Mindfire

Istar
Just stopping by to say that thinking of race in terms of region of origin is actually the original definition. The idea of race being tied to skin color and the prejudice based on that is actually a relatively modern thing. "English" was referred to as a race in the not-so-distant past.

Mectojic

Minstrel
I do that, and I'm going to be the most famous writer in the 21st century, once I get around to it :)
Why shouldn't you?

arbiter117

Minstrel
There are hundreds of examples of this all over the world, in every country! Examples Tutsi or Hutu (Rwanda). Fanti or Shanti(Ghana) Californian or southerner ..(USA) Scottish or Welsh (UK), Castellano, Basque, Gallego, or Catalan (Spain) Spain's a really good one. Each region has a native and recognized language and unique culture. Basque and Catalan are known to want independence from the rest of Spain (to the point of violence at times)

Cambra

Minstrel
There are hundreds of examples of this all over the world, in every country! Examples Tutsi or Hutu (Rwanda). Fanti or Shanti(Ghana) Californian or southerner ..(USA) Scottish or Welsh (UK), Castellano, Basque, Gallego, or Catalan (Spain) Spain's a really good one. Each region has a native and recognized language and unique culture. Basque and Catalan are known to want independence from the rest of Spain (to the point of violence at times)

Hey you forgot the Valencians!!!

Cambra

Minstrel
This is from the British Race Relations Act 1976:

3 Meaning of “racial grounds", “racial group" etc.
(1)In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires–
“racial grounds” means any of the following grounds, namely colour, race, nationality or ethnic or national origins;
“racial group” means a group of persons defined by reference to colour, race, nationality or ethnic or national origins, and references to a person’s racial group refer to any racial group into which he falls.
(2)The fact that a racial group comprises two or more distinct racial groups does not prevent it from constituting a particular racial group for the purposes of this Act.

Russ

Istar
This is from the British Race Relations Act 1976:

It is a slippery slope to use legal terms to define how words are used in common parlance or even intellectual conversation.

Not a good idea at all. The purpose of such legislation is highly politicized as opposed to either scientific or cultural which is more useful.

And then you get some moron who says he prefers the Canadian approach to the issue which in a much more modern approach to hate speech use the term "identifiable group" rather than the troubling term "racial group":

(4) In this section, “identifiable group” means any section of the public distinguished by colour, race, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, or mental or physical disability.