• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

religion?

Reaver

Staff
My world is very similar to ours...most people believe in one God, who created all things, but depending on the race or culture, has no gender, but like most cultures in our world, is addressed as Him and is known by many names. For the most part, I use the names of the Christian/Jewish God..Adonai, Ramathel, Shaddai. There are polytheistic cultures in my world as well as those who worship demons. I've also created an antithesis or polar opposite for this one God, I call "The Adversary of Creation" or simply "Adversary".

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Bit of a mish mash here.

On the surface...

Folks of the main empire on the main world are 'quasi christian' - christianity stemming gnosticism. Very large church, very powerful, rules entire provinces, has inquistirs, even an army. Before the ascent of this church, empire was pagan. These days, pagans in the empire who are too open about their faith run a good possibility of having an inquisitor come calling. A few pagan deities, though, have been brought into the church as Saints.

Other nations are pagan, though the cult of the 'True God' is making headway.

Dig a bit deeper...well, behind the scenes are Lovecraftian Gods (literally) - Azathoth, Yog-Sothoth, ect.

The 'True God' of the Empire and some of the other pagan Gods are actually Lovecrafts 'Mild Gods of Earth' - nowhere near as powerful as the Lovecraftian deities, but occasionally capable of defeating them all the same.