• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Ridiculously crazy concept...

Just ordered The Blade Itself. It really is about time, I'm finally getting around to all of the recommendations from the forum. I got the first two Thieves' World anthologies and The Heroes as well, so I'm gonna be pretty busy for the next two weeks or so.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Just ordered The Blade Itself. It really is about time, I'm finally getting around to all of the recommendations from the forum. I got the first two Thieves' World anthologies and The Heroes as well, so I'm gonna be pretty busy for the next two weeks or so.

Cool. I hope you enjoy the book!

The hardest part about this is doing it in a way that doesn't seem gimmicky, and that manages to connect all the chapters in some way. Otherwise it's not a novel; it's a collection of short stories. (Which is fine, if that's what you're going for.)

But I'd be wary of doing "out-there" or gimmicky story structures before mastering more traditional ones.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
After reading the initial post, the first thing that popped into my head was the short story In a Grove by Ryūnosuke Akutagawa. There isn't a death after every part but it's told from multiple POVs with each POV appearing only once.

Rullenzar

Troubadour
It's an interesting Idea. If you feel you can pull it off then I say go for it. I can see someone who is brilliant at characterization pulling this off nicely. If you are able to introduce your characters within each chapter where it doesn't sound like info dump and continuously add to the character development of your other characters through the persons eyes that your killing off next I could see this working. That way when you get to the next character the reader already knows who they are. Challenging idea.

The hardest part about this is doing it in a way that doesn't seem gimmicky, and that manages to connect all the chapters in some way. Otherwise it's not a novel; it's a collection of short stories. (Which is fine, if that's what you're going for.)

But I'd be wary of doing "out-there" or gimmicky story structures before mastering more traditional ones.

Oh I totally agree. I'm not attempting this one right now, I just had a thought pop up and wanted to see if it would spark some ideas or discussions on the forums.