• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Rooting For The Wrong Team

Do you guys think it would be wise to write a story where the readers might actually feel inclined to root for the antagonist. I'm not talking about just creating a "gray" character but a character that does terrible things out of necessity and pleasure, but is also somehow relatable and likeable. If you do think it's wise could you please give insight on how to do it without screwing up the character altogether.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Do you guys think it would be wise to write a story where the readers might actually feel inclined to root for the antagonist. I'm not talking about just creating a "gray" character but a character that does terrible things out of necessity and pleasure, but is also somehow relatable and likeable. If you do think it's wise could you please give insight on how to do it without screwing up the character altogether.

It's been done before, and done well. Just look at Satan in Paradise Lost -- when he shows up to seduce Eve in the Garden, you can't help but be enticed by his suave manner and eloquent speech, even knowing this is the event that's going to doom all of mankind (until Jesus comes along). Satan's the protagonist of the poem, but he's also undisputably the villain.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I'm a little confused by your question, sweetie. Do you mean root for your antagonist as opposed to your protagonist, or do you mean put a classic "villian" type character into the position of protagonist?

If you mean the former, just create an antagonist who has some charm and sympathy. Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer is a great example. He was supposed to die in the first episode he appeared in, but everyone loved him so much they kept him, and after a few seasons of villainy he actually becomes one of the heroes.

For the latter, Richard from LFG Looking For Group: Slaughter Your World - YouTube or Dr. Horrible from Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog both leap to mind as classic villian put into the position of protagonist with great results. Granted, they are both humorous (or at least until they get to the part in Dr. Horrible that always makes me cry), but you can see their evil charm readily enough.

Personally, I like the saying "A villain is the hero of their own story." I think a great achievement in writing is to write the villian so that the reader is secretly rooting for them. Not to say your protagonist should be any less than fully fleshed or diminished in their eventual glory, but to have that awesome a villian... now that's a triumph!