1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Save the Cat! Beat Sheet

Discussion in 'Writing Resources' started by ChaoticanWriter, Dec 25, 2018.

1. ChaoticanWriter

ChaoticanWriter Dreamer

A useful tool for outlining works of writing (scripts or novels), a beat sheet helps you keep the progression of a story in line with the specific beats of a story as they follow the Three Act progression.

I've written up an article outlining the beat sheet, providing a visual example of the sheet, and some use cases for it (some pre-filled ones for some popular stories).

Storybuilding: Save the Cat! Beat Sheet - Chaotican Writer

FifthView likes this.
  2. Roddy

Roddy Dreamer

Yep, I use it, great tool.
    Have found an even better one recently, Edson’s ‘The Story Solution’, which breaks that kind of structure/paradigm down even further. He calls it ‘the hero goal sequences’. I highly recommend it.

3. RKM

RKM Acolyte

Thanks for this! Definitely will use it :)

Also will google the story solution one. Anything to help me plot better!

Roddy likes this.
  4. MrBrightsider

MrBrightsider Scribe

I've heard of this sort of storyboard but I'd never actually seen it! Looks pretty useful, thanks for the link.

5. Darkfantasy

Darkfantasy Sage

Thanks I've been hearing about this a lot lately and am having some trouble with my plot so now off to do it.
    Thanks as I was planning on avoiding writing tonight under the excuse that I was getting annoyed with it.

6. Seira

Seira Minstrel

Found the diagram way too confusing to be honest, couldn't follow it. The writing was so small inside the diagram that I couldn't read it. So had to go else where to find out more.

7. Darkfantasy

Darkfantasy Sage

I edited my first post but can't remember whether I posted it or not and I'm tired so my brain isn't working well, sorry.

As someone new to this method I did find the diagram hard to follow (but then I'm better with bullet points as my eyes get confused)

Also the writing was so small in the diagram that I couldn't make it out without enlarging my screen. Otherwise it was a good article.