• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Scarlett Johansson wins Damages against Author

TWErvin2

Auror
The actress Scarlett Johansson won damages against an author whose book features a promiscuous character resembling the actress.

She didn't win a great sum, but I guess the result might be instructive to authors.

Here's a link to a brief article on the topic: Scarlett Johansson Wins Novel Case

acapes

Sage
Interesting.

I'd certainly loathe my likeness being used in a way I didn't care for in a book, but I also wonder if such a ruling might set a precedent for public figures stopping authors from more innocuous uses?

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
There is nothing innocuous about how this author used Ms. Johansson's image.

Here's the link to the write up from the Telegraph from May - Scarlett Johansson sues author of novel that 'stole her image' - Telegraph

To quote,

The heroine of La Première Chose qu’On Regarde (The First Thing We Look At) is Janine Foucamprez, a small-time model from northern France whose life is blighted by her resemblance to Miss Johansson.

Women are jealous of her, men see her as a sex object, and she ends up dying in a car crash.

But what struck me, personally, was the author, Mr. Delacourt's, reaction to finding out that Ms. Johansson was suing.

He recently said that he was “speechless” when he discovered that Miss Johansson was suing.

“I thought she’d get in contact to ask me to go for a coffee with her. I didn’t write a novel about a celebrity,” he told RTL. “I wrote a real love story and a homage to feminine beauty, especially interior beauty.... I thought she might send me flowers as it was a declaration of love for her, but she didn't understand.

"It's a strange paradox - but a very American one."

Um... He expected her to take him for coffee and send him flowers? Seriously?

Rinzei

Troubadour
I can see it - for one, her name IS being used as a draw. Because the character looks like Scarlett Johansson, he is using Johansson's face, body, clout and name as a draw. If he said "Angeline Jolie", it'd be the same thing - he's using her big name and beauty as a draw. Secondly, it seems to be that her resemblance is negative by how men want to use her and women hate her - therefore [being] Scarlett Johansson is bad.

Saying that the book isn't about Scarlett Johansson is a bit false as well - the premise of the book is that this women looks like Scarlett Johansson. If he had simply described the woman as drop-down gorgeous and like a "Hollywood bombshell", no harm no foul. But he picked out a specific individual - now the book hangs on that name and image.