1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Sci Fi and Fantasy hybrid book?

Discussion in 'Novels & Stories' started by writeshiek33, Jun 29, 2018.

1. writeshiek33

writeshiek33 Sage

is there any book or stories that has both elements of scifi and fantasy looking for recommendations

2. Svrtnsse

Svrtnsse Staff Article Team

The first setting that comes to mind is Warhammer 40k. If you've not read any of it, I'd suggest starting with the books about Inquisitor Gregor Eisenhorn, followed by the ones about Ravenor (as they are the only ones I've read I don't want to recommend any others).

3. Heliotrope

Heliotrope Staff Article Team

Dune?

Maybe look into sub genres like Sword and Planet, or Planetary Romance.

Gene Wolfe also comes to mind.

kennyc likes this.
  4. Mythopoet

Mythopoet Auror

Yes, I recommend the Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe. And yeah, I think Dune qualifies. Also, Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny. I've heard the Pern books have scifi elements, but I've never read them.

kennyc likes this.
  5. Divergent is added to Science Fantasy.

6. CupofJoe

CupofJoe Myth Weaver

King David's Spaceship by Jerry Pournelle, has sci-fi and fantasy elements.

7. Reaver

Reaver Kwisatz Haderach Moderator

Nailed it! Dune definitely qualifies. (Although I may be a bit biased when it comes to this one). The Pern books have a mythos involving an ancestry that crash-landed on an alien planet and tamed dragons, so that definitely gives it a sci-fi element. You're also absolutely right about Zelazny's fine work. I'd also offer Terry Brooks' Sword of Shannara series of books (at least the earlier stuff after reading the later works).

kennyc likes this.
  8. writeshiek33

writeshiek33 Sage

read dune and yes i agree with that dune is the only other book i can reread over and over

Reaver and Mythopoet like this.