• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

SFWA Story Bundles

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
'will consider works over 40,000 words if it is a standalone or the first in a series'

Seems to be geared towards shorter works.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
No, it's just generous on allowing shorter works. Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America better be used to big books, LOL.

'will consider works over 40,000 words if it is a standalone or the first in a series'

Seems to be geared towards shorter works.

Fun find. I might just submit a book and see what happens.

I have yet to actually catch the entry period on this, but look forward to submitting Eve of Snows for consideration.
Entry period is June. It mentions is in the text:
SFWA solicits fantasy novels fitting a broad theme in June of each year. Depending on the number and quality of submissions received, two related bundles may be curated at that time. One StoryBundle is offered in October, and a second the following April.
These opportunities will be publicized through all SFWA channels, as well as through social media catering to the independent author.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
I'll be one of the SFWA screeners, so you damn well better make it good, LOL. The submissions will be for a theme or subgenre of fantasy, probably to cut down on the mass of entries.

You just made me stressed out. There are way to many adverbs in my novel to get past you, I just know it...

I think having some kind of theme is necessary. Both to keep the selection manageable, but also to create a sensible collection for readers. After all, urban fantasy readers might not enjoy a sword and sorcery portal fantasy. And people who want "Tolkienesque" medieval epic fantasy might not go for something set in the modern day.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Story defeats adverbs, heh heh. And there are a lot of screeners, I'm guessing. It's also a multi-stage deal to find the field of books. I think it will be fun getting a look at a bunch of books, then getting the finalist list.

Very true on the book bundle! Organize the chaos.

You just made me stressed out. There are way to many adverbs in my novel to get past you, I just know it...

I think having some kind of theme is necessary. Both to keep the selection manageable, but also to create a sensible collection for readers. After all, urban fantasy readers might not enjoy a sword and sorcery portal fantasy. And people who want "Tolkienesque" medieval epic fantasy might not go for something set in the modern day.

Story defeats adverbs, heh heh. And there are a lot of screeners, I'm guessing. It's also a multi-stage deal to find the field of books. I think it will be fun getting a look at a bunch of books, then getting the finalist list.
It definitely sounds like a fun experience. How did you get the job?

It does somehow feel more scary to submit a book to someone you "know" than to a complete stranger. Might just be an extension of my imposter syndrome, where despite getting good review from people I still don't believe it's all that good...

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Volunteerism combined with resumé, I suspect, and being a member of the SFWA probably doesn't hurt.

I'd not considered the more scary part, but that makes sense. The good news is there are lots of screeners, so the odds of my seeing any one person's work until the final round aren't that good, so one can rationalize the fear! Kind of like what I try to do when watching a video of a guy climbing to change the bulb in a radio tower... I'm on the couch! This is not scary! Damn, that gives me the creeps just thinking about it.

It definitely sounds like a fun experience. How did you get the job?

It does somehow feel more scary to submit a book to someone you "know" than to a complete stranger. Might just be an extension of my imposter syndrome, where despite getting good review from people I still don't believe it's all that good...

No worries. I tend not to let fear stop me. The good thing about online applications is that each individual step is not that scary. Filling in a form? I can do that. Grabbing a copy of my ebook? Not that hard. Then it's just a matter of telling myself it's okay to click that send button. And once that's done there's no way back. :)