• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Short stories as pre-cursor to main novel series

I've been reading a lot of articles and Q&A"s with popular authors and a lot of them recommend to start out trying to get short stories published in magazines to get your name out there. They also believe that it's easier to work on getting better when you are writing shorter stories, not to mention it can be really challenging with those word limits.

That being said, what do you guys think about using short stories to tackle things that happen before the start of your full length novel? So instead of waiting to write full length books dealing with past events, you just create short stories instead. I could write a couple novels about one of the MC's that's lived for 1,000 plus years; but I could also break that up into short stories and build up interest in the character before I even write about his exploits during the time period that the novel(s) deal with.

This would free up a lot of words if the back stories are already established and I don't have to include it in any of the full length novels.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
I've been reading a lot of articles and Q&A"s with popular authors

Are these recent articles?

a lot of them recommend to start out trying to get short stories published in magazines to get your name out there.

This advice has been around for a long time, but I thought that most authors considered it outdated. I'm not sure how valuable it is to "get your name out there" in this fashion.

They also believe that it's easier to work on getting better when you are writing shorter stories, not to mention it can be really challenging with those word limits.

I can see this as being true. At some point, the only way to learn how to write a novel is to write a novel, but you can learn a lot about story telling and keeping your prose tight by writing shorter works.

Whatever helps you get better is a good thing. If you think writing short stories can improve your writing, you should give it a try.

That being said, what do you guys think about using short stories to tackle things that happen before the start of your full length novel? So instead of waiting to write full length books dealing with past events, you just create short stories instead. I could write a couple novels about one of the MC's that's lived for 1,000 plus years; but I could also break that up into short stories and build up interest in the character before I even write about his exploits during the time period that the novel(s) deal with.

I'm assuming from this paragraph that you're considering some type of self publishing route. The problem I've found with this concept is that it's a lot harder to sell shorter works than novels. My prequel novella has sold a grand total of 13 copies in the time it's been on the market. My novel has sold over 125 in half the time (NOTE: borrows have exceeded these sales numbers for each work, but I think the same relative ratio applies.).

On the other hand, Phil seems to be doing okay building a market for his Splatter Elf short stories, but maybe it's a different deal trying to use short works to draw interest to longer ones?

That being said, I do think that promoting the novella for free did help me sell more copies of the novel.

So my conclusion: I have no idea if writing a shorter work in order to build interest in your longer ones is worth the effort or not. I think that it depends on how much effort and expense it takes you. My novella already existed as a novelette that I used as a learning exercise a long time ago. It took me relatively little effort to turn it into something ready for publication, so I think, overall, it was worth it.

This would free up a lot of words if the back stories are already established and I don't have to include it in any of the full length novels.

This sounds like you, perhaps, really want to include more backstory than is actually needed. If this information can be moved to short stories and not impact your novel, the information isn't really needed, imo, in the first place.

GRR Martin recommended writing short stories and establishing yourself for up to 5 years.

I'm thinking more of submitting short stories to magazines.

I could write the back story using separate novels. I was just curious if making it episodic to get the readers interested in a particular leading character might be worthwhile. Like a short story tale of individual exploits.

Last edited:
This sounds like you, perhaps, really want to include more backstory than is actually needed. If this information can be moved to short stories and not impact your novel, the information isn't really needed, imo, in the first place.

@Miskatonic: My very first impression, reading your OP, was very much like what BWF said above.

I could write the back story using separate novels. I was just curious if making it episodic to get the readers interested in a particular leading character might be worthwhile. Like a short story tale of individual exploits.

I think you should remember that many readers will come to the novel without a knowledge of those stories, even if you write them, once both are on the market. On some important level, both the novel and those stories (or the stories considered as a whole) will need to be able to stand alone, anyway. You could actually experience the opposite: After reading the novel, readers become interested in reading the short stories because they like that character and the world you've created.

I don't see anything at all wrong with doing both. You could in fact have some cross-pollination, ultimately, with readers going from one to the other (either direction.)

For me personally: If I read a novel that I very much like, I'm not quite as inclined to seek out prequel stories, whether short stories or novels, that happen centuries before the novel I liked. I like the novel for its story, the milieu of its world, more often than merely because I like a character. There are some cases where I grow to absolutely love a character and would read almost anything featuring that character–but for whatever reason, those characters in my own reading experience are not the sort that live for millennia. (This is just my own personal experience so far; other readers may well love such characters to that extent.)

I'm in a slightly similar boat right now. My WIP has stalled, and I've been considering writing a novel with a different POV character set in the same world, in fact in the very same time period, as my WIP. I'm thinking of having one or two of the characters in my WIP run into this new character in the new novel–a brief cameo, if you will–while in the midst of their story from that WIP, although readers of this new book wouldn't know that until they read my current WIP. Mostly I'm considering doing this just because I need a break from my WIP and I want to explore some aspects of my world that I haven't quite fleshed out enough for my WIP.

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
Miskatonic, I'm sort of taking this approach. I started writing a novel a little while back and realized that I just didn't have the baseline knowledge of how to go about it, let alone the required skill. I wrote a few short stories and found that actually finishing something made a world of difference in my confidence and my skill level.

I read the same thing by George RR Martin, and I have also read a ton of other authors (recently) say the best advice they have is to read, read, read, read and start with shorts.

I have decided to put my novel on hold for the time being and work on shorts until I feel I have improved in both efficiency and skill level to pick it up again. I have been working on shorts for magazines (none published yet, but still trying). I feel, for myself, that once I have a few shorts published I will feel more confident to tackle a bigger project.

I do use my novel 'world' in my shorts, and themes from my novel, but I would be hesitant to use too much backstory, as I don't want to give too much away. So I use other characters from different parts of my world that have no bearing on my novel's story.

Last edited:

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
I should say, though, that my goals are different then someone like Foster, for example.

I do not need to make a career of writing any time soon, and am at this point more a hobbyist than a professional. If I eventually get $20 from a magazine for a story sometime in the next 5 years that would spell success for me.

My timeline, unlike many professional authors here on this page who need to meet deadlines and need to keep writing books, is indefinite. I may not finish my novel in the next 20 years and I'm OK with this. I have very young children, one with severe special needs, and they are my focus right now. I'm realistic in the fact that I HAVE to work full time. Being a pro writer is not in the cards for me for a few years anyways, so at this point I only have a few hours a day (1-2) to spend on writing. For me shorts are more realistic in that time frame and so a better way for me to feel successful and that I have actually finished something of quality.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
GRR Martin recommended writing short stories and establishing yourself for up to 5 years.

I'm thinking more of submitting short stories to magazines.

I really think that, if you're treating this as a learning tool and confidence builder, it's probably worthwhile to do. If you're thinking of writing these shorts as some kind of boost for your eventual novel, I don't think it's the best strategy.

C

Chessie

To the OP: follow your intuition. If writing shorts will provide you with greater insight into the heart of your world and story, then so be it. However, and this is the thing that rubs me the wrong way about big time authors giving sweeping generalisms like this, is that if your intention is to write novels then that's where you might want to play. While I agree with him in getting established by practicing your craft (in essence, churning out stuff since that's what shorts help out with), how a writer goes about this process is entirely individual to their goals.

Check it out, writing shorts and writing novels are two different things. I've written a handful of novels enough to know that I don't prefer them. I'm much better with novellas & novelettes, not even short stories as those are too compact for my liking. Every writer has their comfortable word count area. If you want to write novels, then how else will you get practice writing 80-120k words if you only spend time writing 10k word books? The requirements are different for each. Plots are condensed, there are less characters and povs, etc. Also, writing a monster book takes more time and energy than a short story.

I'm not dogging on Martin's advice. It's just that...really...take it in and ask yourself if that's really the best path for you. All of us can have a say and you'll do what feels right to you, as you should. Good luck.

I really think that, if you're treating this as a learning tool and confidence builder, it's probably worthwhile to do. If you're thinking of writing these shorts as some kind of boost for your eventual novel, I don't think it's the best strategy.

I think it would be a good confidence boost, and kind of kill two birds with one stone by using it as a learning tool and and confidence builder, as well as having the writing (lore, background, etc.) go towards the bigger project. The specific subject matter will probably not be in the book but as I develop these shorts it may give me ideas of how to better portray events in the actual novel. I definitely don't want to swamp readers with backstory in the novel itself.

I definitely understand what you are getting at. I'm not so sure that I would take this on with the hopes that it would be a way to build up hype or what have you for the actual novel. It might be a good test to see whether how I'm developing that particular character is gaining any interest in and of itself or not. It might give me a better idea of what people like or don't like about the character, and perhaps change some things in the novel itself to reflect it.

The short story stuff will be it's own separate entity, so it's not required reading for the novel itself. It gives me a chance to just have the single hero going on his own adventures, as opposed to the adventuring party where you are dealing with multiple characters at the same time. Kind of like Conan as compared to the Fellowship of the Ring.

Russ

Istar
I don't see any down side to your approach, and there are some upsides.

Firstly writing short stories well helps develop lean writing which is always of great value. It teaches you to do more with less, rather than the rather lazy writing you often see in people's first attempts at novels.

I am pretty certain that the advice on establishing yourself with shorts that GRRM and others have been giving for quite some time (and continue to give) is based on the traditional publishing route. An agent or editor are more likely to take you seriously if you have had some short stories published in publications they respect. It ads a certain air of "some other professional editor paid for this person's work maybe I should have a close look at it." This approach is quite unique to the Spec Fic field but I think well accepted.

It also helps you understand you characters and world better and how they function as you write them into being rather than just think about them. It could well allow you to make a far better presentation of them in your first novel than you might otherwise.

And when your book explodes you can turn them into prequels or sell them for huge $.

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
An agent or editor are more likely to take you seriously if you have had some short stories published in publications they respect. It ads a certain air of "some other professional editor paid for this person's work maybe I should have a close look at it."

This is a good point. I have looked into the process of establishing a literary agent, as well as spoken to a few at workshops. As part of your submission package they almost always ask "What is your writing background/history? What else have you published?" So having a few short stories published in magazines etc can show that you have been working at your craft for a number of years and others have deemed you to be 'publishable' which is always a bonus.

I had an idea for a short story last week while I was out mowing the lawn. It's about a young boy who stumbles across a wizard's laboratory while out exploring a forest. The whole story is just about the kid wandering around the workshop, looking at all the fantastic bits and bobs that the wizard collected over the years.

I don't usually write short stories. I primarily stick to novels. After finishing the story, I realized I could go about writing a sequel novel in two ways: 1. the wizard takes on the boy as his apprentice. Or 2: The little boy gets into a mishap with the wizard's invention a la Back to the Future.

So, I do think it's a great idea. The short story can help you flesh out the characters before putting them into a full novel.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
I have written close to three dozen short stories and novelettes since coming to this site, most of them for various Challenges. I figure maybe ten or twelve might be worth submitting for publication. Most are set in the same world as my WIP's. Some cover events prior to those stories, others on different parts of the planet. Characters migrate back and forth.