• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Should I even bother?

Ruru

Troubadour
It's always worth writing it, since as has been said many times now, writing it will bring much practice.
And practice is everything. I had my own big story, the novel I so desperately wanted to write. I loved it, I lived it for years. And everytime I went to write it down it rambled and twisted out of control. Beaune I had no idea how to write it.
So about 5 years ago I put it aside and wrote something shorter, which I finished. It was terrible, and I tried a few times to re write. Then I put that aside and wrote something even shorter. Now I chase competitions with as small a word count as i can find, because 500 words I can write and polish in a few weeks, and the competition makes me actually do it.
The practice has improved my writing infinitely, and I now have a notebook packed full of changes that I want to make to the original novel, based on what I've learnt and what critiques have shown me about my writing.
You are at the beginning of the journey, and it's a long one, but if you are writing because it's fun, and it feels good to do, all the better.

Miles Lacey

Archmage
Fantasy does tend to be a whole lot of clichés. The settings, the quests, the people who are the main characters, the regimes and so forth are all pretty much the same with minor variations here and there to spice them up again. Just because your writing feels just like a mish-mash of clichés borrowed from other writers doesn't mean you should call it quits. It's amazing how many fantasy books full of clichés get to be bestsellers.

J K Rowling took a typical British boarding school story - a genre that was practically dead by the 1990s - and added fantasy clichés to it. Her Harry Potter books sold by the millions and the movies were box office successes.

Sorry must go back to work so I will stop here.

Miles Lacey

Archmage
No matter what you write someone is going to compare what you write to someone else. Also, my attitude towards writing is that if you have something to say then write it down. Worry about the clichés and other issues when you start to edit your first draft.

In short, just write and don't give up. You may very well have a potential blockbuster novel on your computer.

Cliche you say. Tried and true I say I. There are so many variations on the story you're describing and they appeal to a reader demographic or there wouldn't be so many of them to choose from. Keep at it and find ways to make it surprising and uniquely your own.

I thought I could never write the story in my head. Wizards, dragons, reluctant pre-destined heroes, and strange magics. But the magic has some twists and spins, the society is also rather antithetical to most. Maybe it won't best be a best seller, maybe no one will even like it, but I owe to myself to write it. At best some will find it entertaining and I will learn a great deal about writing.

Chapter 5 and counting.

Writing is a journey. Push through and finish your book. Don't stop at one book and don't second guess yourself. I promise I'll read your book when it's finished. I bet I'll even learn a thing or two when I do.

Gurkhal

Auror
Keep fighting your doubts and keep writing! Its a wonderful thing to have created something and the sense of accomplishment of having finished a major, and dearly cheerished, project is like nothing else in this world.

If you put your mind to it I think that you can do it. And you can always come back with revisions in the future when you've got even more experience under your belt.

Righmath

Troubadour
Short chapters are sometimes good! They're real page turners and keep the reader hooked in. If you've read TNOTW you will know what I mean.

I suggest keep writing, don't go back and edit until you're finished. By the time you're at the end, chances are you'll want to completely alter the first 20% of your book. And that's ok!

i feel like giving up writing one of the few things in my life i think i can be great at but i feel im wasting time its my excape from my life with my dad being sick and i have a leaning disbility . what should i do

Righmath

Troubadour
Happygolucky, it seems that writing is a form of escapism for you. As I’m sure it is for a lot of people. I write with the hope to publish someday for people like you and I, for people that want to get lost. People who need to get lost.

I want you to keep writing :) but also keep reading. Keep a balance between them both, as reading will help you write better, get a better rhythm. I know it can be difficult but persevere.

I’m not sure what your disability is but is it something which you can try and hone, to become an asset in your writing or your world building. Also if you need help with anything, then reach out! I’ll more than happy read your work, help you build on it or just be there for advice, as I’m sure everyone in this forum will be also!

Is there anything you need help with at the moment?

Gurkhal

Auror
i feel like giving up writing one of the few things in my life i think i can be great at but i feel im wasting time its my excape from my life with my dad being sick and i have a leaning disbility . what should i do

Please don't give up. If you like to write its no more waste of time than going to see a movie or hang out in the pub with your friends.

e218971f2e887076c3aad16c19179dcd.jpg

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team

I wrote a good portion of one of my books next to a hospital bed with one hand because I was holding my Dad's hand with the other. Writing isn't easy under normal circumstances. It's even tougher when life is throwing rocks at you at the same time. Some things I always try to keep in mind is writing doesn't have to be done quickly. It doesn't even have to be done particularly well. All that matters is if you're getting something out of it. All the rest can be taken care of in time. In time, you will eventually get to the end of the story. In time, you can rewrite and make stories better.

If it gives you joy, if it gives you escape, then it'll never be wasted time, regardless of any of it ever sees the light of day.

One of my favorite quotes is "Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."

I've found in life, there are very few instances were I regret going for it. Doesn't always end well. Quite often it doesn't, but at least I tried. Better that than the regret of wondering what could have been if only I had given it a try. The sting of failure is fleeting. The scars of regret last a lifetime.

Best of luck.

Miles Lacey

Archmage
It's never a waste of time to do something you enjoy. If you enjoy writing because it allows you to escape from the realities of life for a while then keep doing it.

My writing is bloody awful but I write to escape from the reality of being a middle aged man who has nothing to show for the half century I've been around. With no partner, no kids, no home and from next week no job I sometimes feel like bidding adieu to this life but my writing keeps me going.

So my advice is keep writing for as long as it brings you joy and a chance to escape from reality for a while.

Phietadix

Auror
Every story can be have comparisons drawn to others. There are so many basic concepts that exist to begin with, making a new story is just a matter of combing things in a new way. Take Hunger Games for example. There is nothing about the basically plot and world that hasn't been done elsewhere. Other stories have done dystopias. Other stories have done political revolution. Other stories have done love triangles. Other stories have done death games. What makes a story unique is the details, and how you combine the basic elements. A story that combines dystopia, political revolution, live triangles, and death games together is now something reasonably unique. until a book with that exact combination became popular, and then everybody starts copying it's format.

Even the details mostly are things that have been done at least once before. Using a whistle tone signal. A main character who is an archer. A 13 district nation. Corrupt nobility. The rich wearing highly extravagant costumes and clothing. A character with fire imagery. But add those to the basic plot concepts, and you absolutely have something that hasn't been done before.

You're never going to be able to make a story that doesn't contain an idea that nobody has ever thought of before you. But as long as you're not just borrowing every idea from one place, then your story will be something new