• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Sleeping safe?

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
As I recall it's fairly commonly accepted that elves (generic, average standard elves) need a lot less sleep than humans. Instead of sleeping they meditate or enter some kind of trance or suchlike. Sure, it may not be as common/widespread as I imagine, but let's say it is as it brings on the following question:
How does a race of beings that don't sleep relate to beds?

Personally, I like my bed. It's safe and warm and comfortable. I spend a lot of time in my bed - mostly sleeping.
If I was - if we all were - able to go through life without having to sleep, how would I/we feel about beds then?
Would lying down on something soft and covering ourselves with blankets still be associated with feeling safe or would it just be silly?

Spider

Sage
I don't only go to my bed when I'm sleepy. When I'm cold, the blankets provide me with warmth; when I'm upset, the bed provides me with comfort. I think if we were able to go through life without sleeping, we could still rely on beds for relaxation. Also, some people think better when they're horizontal as opposed to vertical.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Sleeping arrangements are going to depend a great deal on climate. The warmer the climate, the lighter the arrangements, and the colder the climate the more insulating, so basically anything ranging from a tropical hammock to full sleeping cabinets. As for the need for actual sleep, I know for mental health reasons the human mind needs to achieve some sort of REM sleep to recharge and sort through issues and problems, or else serious issues can occur resulting from sleep depravation. Your elves may have found some alternative way to meet those needs. It all boils down to both biology and culture.

Graylorne

Archmage
If these elves don't need to sleep, but rather meditate (sitting, I presume), I'd say they probably wouldn't develop the concept of 'bed'. They would have mats and cushions, but they wouldn't be used to lying down. Or they could associate it with being ill.

They might even think it a disgusting habit of being less alert, or feel vulnerable flat on their back.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
They might even think it a disgusting habit of being less alert, or feel vulnerable flat on their back.

I had some thoughts in this direction as well. Maybe beds are mainly where you place the very sick or the very old?

Graylorne

Archmage
I'd say they gather a heap of cushions for that. Probably they'd try and keep even the sick and old as long as possible comfortable (i.e. in a sitting position).

Gurkhal

Auror
If these elves don't need to sleep, but rather meditate (sitting, I presume), I'd say they probably wouldn't develop the concept of 'bed'. They would have mats and cushions, but they wouldn't be used to lying down. Or they could associate it with being ill.

I'd like to throw in my support with this post. While there are a great many things that humans use beds for, most of them great things :D, I would think that these have developed culturally from the fact that humans do biologically NEED sleep and have found alternative use for their sleeping arrangements.