• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Small Woodland Creatures?

Shockley

Maester
I'd say fashion your own creature - a fantasy rodent, with a description and name similar enough to give it a clear appearance. Something like 'meesa' or 'rowse' (off the top of my head) give me a vague rodent image without getting to specific.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
I'd say fashion your own creature - a fantasy rodent, with a description and name similar enough to give it a clear appearance. Something like 'meesa' or 'rowse' (off the top of my head) give me a vague rodent image without getting to specific.

Rowse works quite well -- it makes me think of R.O.U.S.-es. XD I imagine you'd pronounce the acronym the same way.

Hi,

It's the two inches tall that's the problem. At that height the ferret would eat them in one bite. And anyway, while it may sound cool, people don't ride carnivores. My thought would be either make them bigger or you're left with mice. Even rats would be too big - it'd be like riding an elephant, and not a vegetarian one. Among the small rodents your best bet would be gerbils because they're the friendliest and most sociable, but again are too large.

However all of these rodents would be problematic because of their natural behaviour. If you've ever seen a mouse wandering around you'll know that its natural gait is bumpy and when out in the open it likes to dart around, stop, sniff the air, and then race away again in a different direction. This is not a good behaviour to try and modify into obediance for a rider. You need a herd animal, one that likes travelling with others. This is why horses made such capable steeds.

Cheers, Greg.

Shockley

Maester
Rowse works quite well -- it makes me think of R.O.U.S.-es. XD I imagine you'd pronounce the acronym the same way.

Indeed - the only reason I didn't go straight for 'rouse' (which is prettier looking and easier to figure out) is because people would immediately jump to the word 'rouse.'

Shreddies

Troubadour
Or, choose a character size to make one creature the classic horse-like match, and other animals like elephants with their howdahs.

(Warriors on ferret cavalry with a jackalope "tank" in the center... how's that for a cover image?)

That is just too awesome to pass up. I could use Jackalopes as a steed for their royalty or heavy cavalry.

I snorted a bit of my drink when I read rowse. For some reason 'wibble' has been stuck in my head since I saw that Blackadder skit. Feels like some kind of small animal.

I guess creating my own species would probably be the simplist route. So, ideally they would be herbivores, reasonably intelligent, a good temperament, brave enough not to skitter away in the face of danger, a suitable gait for riding upon, possibly a herd animal, and finally, small enough for a two inch rider.

Bonus points for being decent climbers, being able to box or kick hard enough to defend themselves from predators which would give them reason not to be skittish, and maybe running in a herd, like lemmings, only not off a cliff.

I could see that happening, actually. A herd of small rodents majestically running across a field, an eagle swoops down, it gets mobbed by four or five of them and the herd goes about its business gathering plants and things for their foodstores for winter.

Behold! The majestic Miniature Peruvian Wibbler!

Like how Warblers warble, the Wibblers wibble. And of course something else instead of Peruvian.

Mindfire

Istar
You know, you don't have to have them ride directly on the animals. They could use them to draw chariots instead.

I guess creating my own species would probably be the simplist route. So, ideally they would be herbivores, reasonably intelligent, a good temperament, brave enough not to skitter away in the face of danger, a suitable gait for riding upon, possibly a herd animal, and finally, small enough for a two inch rider.

You might still want to say they're a cousin of mice, or some other species, and look a bit like them. That would make a huge difference for the readers to be able to picture something they know-- this sounds like the kind of concept they'd want that bit of comfort with.

Shreddies

Troubadour
You know, you don't have to have them ride directly on the animals. They could use them to draw chariots instead.

I was wondering about this, but wouldn't it be far more difficult for a small wagon to cross a field or something? Although I suppose wagons and carts are usually kept on the road.

You might still want to say they're a cousin of mice, or some other species, and look a bit like them. That would make a huge difference for the readers to be able to picture something they know-- this sounds like the kind of concept they'd want that bit of comfort with.

Yeah, I'll keep that in mind when I introduce them.

An don't forget about custom saddles!!!

Of course. :D

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
sugar-glider-and-baby.jpg

4.jpg

It's called a Sugar Glider.

BJ Swabb

Sage
So I have Nipsies and Piskies in my book series which are small beings like your men. They ride small birds like robins, and bluejays if needing to fly. They stay away from crows, ravens, and carnivorous birds because they would just attack them. As far as land, they ride rabbits / hares, squirrels, some sort of lizards, and large beetles. You have to kind of think of the environment these men live in and what kind of work they do and such to help with their rides as well. For instance if they are men who live in like anthills than rabbits and squirrels would be hard for them to work with since they live underground, and it be hard for such animals to go underground. So in that case maybe a mole, field mouse, or prairie dog would work for them. But if they live in say like mushroom houses than squirrels, rabbits and those sorts would work out great. But it is just a thought really.

A herbivore can work.

Rabbits: These mammals are fast enough, could be a helpful for leaping large gaps/digging, and small enough. Especially, fantastical versions of these animals. ( I saw someone mention jackalope. It's a good idea. ) If you do choose the myth-route, then another suggestion would be a Wolpertinger. They are comparable jackalopes, as they have antlers, but are known as far more chimera-like; sometimes Wolpertinger are depicted with pheasant or squirrel characteristics, wings, fangs, etc.

Since you originally cosidered members from the Mustelidae family: I recommend the infamous omnivrous fishers, nicknamed "Fisher Cats". Those guys can also climb, and swim too. Unlike rabbits, they don't have many predators. It can pose less of a risk to your people if they have an animal that larger animals would not attempt to raid their homes for. One potential issue is they can are "standardly" solitary.

Their diets can be maintained in two ways: The people could opt for feeding them berries, fruit and other healthy-to-provide foods that are easily gathered, while also allowing their steeds to go off and hunt on their own..Realism aside for obvious reasons. If we assume most species are shrunk down in your world for their convenience, however, then them hunting small birds/other animals for their fishers works out in pehraps an easier way.