• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Submitting Letters

DPayne

Dreamer
Greetings Everyone,

I've been having a problem with my writing. I've been hitting a series of writers' block trying to figure out how to tie different plot points to my story. I have this colossal over-all story-arch that I know the details of (beginning, plot twists, key character interaction points, and ultimately end) but I'm trying to figure out when to send in a letter to a publishing company (or agent) to see if I could find anyone interested in what I want to do. I think one of the hardest things I come across is I get asked some details of the plot and when I describe it I have to explain that this isn't a single book story, mainly due to word limit per book that I've heard some publishers impose on newer writers(I find it difficult to fit what I consider "Book 1" into a 80,000 word limit book). Anyone have any input or suggestions that may help me or shed some light on information I may have missed? Thank you.

-D

Aosto

Sage
I've been told the following advise for new writers. If you are seeking a publisher, it's probably best to write your first novel as a stand alone with the potential for a series. For example, tie up all plot points and twists at the end of your first novel. Or, if you have several, pick out one that would work best for the first novel. This may help get you published initially (If your writing is sound).

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I don't think the 80,000 word limit applies to Fantasy novels. You're looking at more like 120,000 words, even for a first time author, as best I've been able to tell from looking into it. At least if you're writing epic fantasy. I don't know if that changes for something like urban fantasy.

Don't send a letter to an agent or editor until it is done. No one is interested in taking on fiction from a new author based on a pitch, with the work itself being incomplete. If you write them and they are interested, they'll ask to see it and it will look bad if you have to go back to them and say you haven't actually completed it yet.

You need to complete the first book, get it in absolutely the best shape you can, and then start going after agents or publishers.

DPayne

Dreamer
Thank for the information. Not even sure what to call it other than "Science Fantasy" since it has elements of both.

TWErvin2

Auror
As the others above have said, finish the novel first. Then, when you're looking for an agent/publisher, begin writing a new project/novel.

To reiterate what was stated above, when writing a query letter, it's important to state that you have a "completed manuscript". So be sure that it is done and ready for review.

I have a similar situation to you DPayne, where I have a plan to write an 8 book series, so I state in my query letter that "While <enter title here> stands alone as a novel, I have outlines planned for a potential octalogy." From what I have read, publishers don't usually sign you up for your entire series from the get-go. They want to commit to one book, and if that does well, they'll extend your contract.

After my first wave of submissions (I sent 50 queries out to literary agents), I only had 1 bite. The one thing that was difficult for me as a new author, was not having anything to say in my bio other than I had completed a book. So part of my plan for my next round of submissions was to get something published, and thanks to the wonderful people that work for Myths Inscribed ezine, they made my dreams come true and published my short story! =) So now that I'm gearing up for my second wave of submissions, I have prepared a 1-page synopsis (it took 3 revisions to get it into excellent shape) and I now have a more impressive resume to boot.

I haven't heard of an 80,000 word limit, but I have heard of a 100,000 word limit, however I must agree with Steerpike that the fantasy genre is more of an exception than a rule. I hope this helps.