• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

telling not showing

ok i have a comic book idea but the problem whenever i try to write it i show not tell anybody knows any tricks because it comes normally for to show and feels wrong to tell it it must be done but seems impossible for me

Hi, WriteShiek33.

Have you considered sketching or drawing the events of your story? If your preference is show instead of tell, maybe you're more visually oriented and would be more comfortable using images to tell your story.

Can you sketch out a storyboard of your plot? Even if in the end you convert your images into a written story, maybe actually seeing your story play out visually will help you to organize your story concept and bring it together.

By "show" or "tell," you may be referring to writing style so my input may not be what you're looking for. Even so, if a writer imagines his story chiefly in visual terms, may be that is the appropriate way for the writer to present it. Sometimes pictures tell the best stories. It's simply another way to express your tale.

Good luck.

Richard

ok i have a comic book idea but the problem whenever i try to write it i show not tell anybody knows any tricks because it comes normally for to show and feels wrong to tell it it must be done but seems impossible for me

Are you saying that you're having a problem showing and not telling?

I don't really understand why this is a problem when writing a comic book. It is really great that you can show your plot with pictures, so start drawing, first sketches, then more detailed illustrations, and then maybe you'll come up with the words for it.