• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The Description Sweet Spot

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
I think in terms of Tolstoy et al., that's literature, and I find that lit has a lot of leeway in doing that kind of heavy description. It's even expected I think.

Jess A

Archmage
My journalism lecturer recommended that we read Ernest Hemingway if we had not already. His reasoning was that Hemingway did not waffle - each word contributed to the story and he 'never wasted a word'.

If the descriptions contribute to the story, then they are necessary. I personally love description because it brings me into the world and helps me to relate to the character. Therefore I see it as 'necessary'.

As mentioned above, the reader's imagination must play a part.

It is when description becomes unnecessary that it becomes a problem for me as a reader. Jean Auel is one such author - I loved her first two books and her descriptions are well-written, but in later novels she becomes overindulgent and falls in love with her setting.

I skim-read most of it. :|

I must note that I need to watch myself when I describe elements of my world. I can certainly go overboard and I have to consciously cut back.

SeverinR

Vala
I would say the flow of the story would tell how much description.
In a fight scene, you don't go into much detail, because not many people notice anything but the fight when involved, or an avenue of escape.
But in a time of relaxation, the MC might notice something in detail.

It took me 3-4 chapters to take time to describe the hatchling dragon of my story, because they were rushed, didn't have time to notice the little things. Chased by thieves and villains, or flying through the clouds for the first time. Not much to describe during the flight either, because it was her first flight and she was terrified. You don't notice the pretty fluffy clouds when you expect to plumet to your death at anytime.
When you describe, is as important as what you describe.