1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

The Emotion Thesaurus

Discussion in 'Writing Resources' started by Scribble, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Scribble

Scribble Archmage

This might be of use to new, and even experienced writers to find ways to express character emotions. There is a book for sale, but the author provides some examples on that page (these are not in the book).

The Bookshelf Muse: THE EMOTION THESAURUS

2. T.Allen.Smith

T.Allen.Smith Staff Moderator

Yes... The Emotion Thesaurus is a favorite tool. Great as a guide.

It was discussed awhile back. Always good to bring back to conversation though for newer members. I know that several members use this great book.

My advice on its use (as I've used it a lot):
    Don't use it strictly for every emotion or description of character action. However, it's an amazing resource to help creativity. Use it to generate your own, unique descriptions of emotion and expression. It can help get your thinking headed in the right direction if you're having trouble trying to think of new ways to depict action, expressions, internal feelings, etc.

deilaitha and Scribble like this.
  3. pearlwayland

pearlwayland Acolyte

I brought this a few days ago. It is really good for reference and if you get stuck, then it's a great help.

4. Bruce McKnight

Bruce McKnight Troubadour

Own it. Love it.

In a similar vein, I'm currently enjoying The Describer's Dictionary by David Grambs. It's all on physical description, making it a good companion to The Emotional Thesaurus.

5. deilaitha

deilaitha Sage

I bought this a while back. Excellent resource. I get a kick out of the lists of long-term side effects of suppressed emotion. In one of my WIPs I have a character with a lot of baggage, and this is excellent for helping me describe him.

6. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

I just added the sample to my Kindle.

7. Tanihatu

Tanihatu Scribe

As I am new to writing, these sound like excellent resources! Thanks for this!

8. ebervalius

ebervalius Acolyte

Oh, man,this is so very useful!

9. Nihal

Nihal Vala

I love the Emotion Thesaurus!

Unrelated but related. As a non-native English speaker who tends to forget all the other synonyms, I found this little image incredibly useful:

[​IMG]

Scribble likes this.
  10. SeverinR

SeverinR Vala

I like that wheel even though I have spoken english for most of my life. (Except for the first year and when I got really drunk...lol.)

11. Sam Evren

Sam Evren Troubadour

I'm sure this is rudimentary in comparison, but if you type "define 'term'" in google, say, literally, define amused, you'll get an immediate definition. There is also a sort of faded down arrow below the definition. It opens up history, usage through the years, but also synonyms and antonyms.

Kinda handy for quick reference.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  12. Scribble

Scribble Archmage

That is a cool feature I never noticed before. I have played with the NGram viewer. That is an interesting piece of technology, giving a window into social change using the written word as a source.

Try putting in words like alien, angel, death, sex, dream, nuclear, microchip, radiation, etc...

https://books.google.com/ngrams

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
    Nihal and Sam Evren like this.
  13. Sam Evren

Sam Evren Troubadour

That is really cool. I've never seen that before. Thanks for sharing.

14. Nihal

Nihal Vala

Oooh, this is really useful!

15. Asterisk

Asterisk Troubadour

Thanks for sharing the “Emotion Thesaurus”.... I bought it, and will probably buy the Positive and Negative Traits books. These are great additions to my library!

Scribble likes this.
  16. Bansidhe

Bansidhe Minstrel

This is one of those books that are right by my side as I'm writing--it's really pushed my craft to the next level, I have to say--it even changed my mindset about constructing prose in the way I choose my words/phrases now. The authors are coming out with two new books on character traits, which I'm eagerly awaiting. HIGHLY recommend.

17. Two Steps From Hell

Two Steps From Hell New Member

You guys should also check out her new Negative Trait and Positive Trait Thesaurus. Phenomenal.

18. Iamfenian

Iamfenian Closed Account

I have the Emotion Thesaurus as a PDF file (purchased online).

19. JaybieJarrett

JaybieJarrett Acolyte

I have this book myself. It is pretty useful for coming up with the right words for describing how some characters react to certain emotions. I tend to look up an emotion my characters is going through, think about why and then choose something that fits their character. Like I have a bunch of characters and they all can react to the same emotion in a bunch of different ways. I'd really recommend the book.

20. Anniekins

Anniekins Dreamer

oh i like this! thank you