• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The feeling that it's pointless

Amanita

Maester
I don't mind your post, Chilari, it's interesting. Maybe we should open a thread about female main characters. Would surely be interesting to get everyone's opinion.

Okay, I often write fanfic when I feel this way, because if it's not going to matter anyway, why not?
That I often do in such situations as well, but at the moment, I'm so sick of Harry Potter that this doesn't work. I'm not terribly sorry about this though, because it hardly ever led to something constructive anyway.

cobrarosa

Dreamer
I don't mind your post, Chilari, it's interesting. Maybe we should open a thread about female main characters. Would surely be interesting to get everyone's opinion.

That I often do in such situations as well, but at the moment, I'm so sick of Harry Potter that this doesn't work. I'm not terribly sorry about this though, because it hardly ever led to something constructive anyway.

Yeah, there is a serious lack of female leads in fantasy stories. One of my absolute favorite books is Deed of Paksenarrion, but I have a hard time coming across quality writing of that caliber. Recommendations anyone?

Sincerely
Tomas

misaki

Dreamer
Oh god yes, I know exactly what you mean. I'm sick of all this bloody "paranormal romance" nonsense. What's worse is that it's considered fantasy by those who read it, who don't have a clue about the wonders that the fantasy genre can really offer, people who have never heard of Terry Pratchett, Robin Hobb, Diane Wynne Jones, David Gemmell and a host of other master fantasy storytellers, and claim to like fantasy on the basis that they like Twilight *shudder*.

Actually, what I'm working on at the moment has a female lead; it is my intention to demonstrate that there can be such a thing as a strong female lead without her (a) relying on a love interest to rescue her repeatedly, (b) being smart mouthed, (c) acting like "one of the lads", (d) being a natural leader. The point, with this character Bredyn, is that while it is her decisions which primarily drive the plot, she does not fit into either the hopeless lovesick follower trope seen in the vampire and werewolf novels, nor the smart mouthed, dresses like a man and is determined not to let anyone prevent her from doing what she wants, uber feminist trope seen in a lot of other stuff. She is quiet, at times indecisive, lacks self confidence, and actually wants to be what her father expects her to be - a good daughter and a good wife in a patriarchal society. But after being a bad daughter a few times with a prince, and learning that the prince in question is an utter jerk, she ends up having to make lots of decisions in order to protect her family, herself and her unborn child. There are two characters who are presented as love interests, and one sort of fits into the vampire group (although he's not; he's bound himself to the spirit of a ghost, giving him certain powers which are similar to those of vampires, but in many ways quite different). The key point, however, is that she doesn't define herself according to who she is in love with, but by who she is and who she wants to be.

That's the plan, anyway. Basically, I want to see if it can be done: a female lead who doesn't fit into traditional female lead categories, but who is still likable, relatable, and a strong character.

I understand what you mean. That was what I was trying to allude to but my fuzzy brain wouldn't work at that moment, lol. I like how you said that 'she doesn't define herself according to who she is in love with, but by who she is and who she wants to be'. I think that's what these paranormal books are missing which is why the female leads become so boring and predictable.