• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The Fussy Librarian (For Book Recommendations)

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Not sure how many of you are aware of this service, but I think it could be excellent for those looking for indie work (or even getting your work recommended). You basically register an account and every couple of days you get book recommendations based on the criteria you registered. My preferences were only fantasy and so far I've gotten some pretty interesting recommendations. If you're looking for quality indie work, maybe you'll find something that will meet your expectations through this service. Worth a look in any case.

Free Personalized Book Suggestions | The Fussy Librarian

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
I thought it interesting that there was no "Western" choice but there was "Romance-Western"...
I selected "Religious fiction" just to see what I'd get...

I've been using it for a few weeks now (and before that was SweetFreeBooks, which doesn't have genre options but usually sends about one paranormal and one muggle suggestion a day), and they haven't been able to impress me.

Maybe I'm just more "fussy" than they are. But it's too easy to look at these suggestions, maybe click a couple times to start reading the Kindle sample, and decide I've been shown another trend-chasing tale with some not-that-special writing. They might grow on me, but I never like the odds that they're worth my time, compared to the authors I know or have recommended to me.

Are other people having different results with this?

--And then, there's the other side of it: how much can a tool like this teach us about trends, prices, and how to make our own books stand out (brand out?) in a crowd like this? Or just, does anyone know how to get our books on them?