• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The Hobbit: The Tolkien Edit

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Frankly, I love both the movies and the books, flaws and all. I just prefer to think of the movies as fanfiction -- albeit VERY expensive, VERY time-consuming fanfiction made by VERY dedicated people. It doesn't make them bad; it just means they're not the same as the books. They're enjoyable on their own merits.

Incanus

Auror
Frankly, I love both the movies and the books, flaws and all. I just prefer to think of the movies as fanfiction -- albeit VERY expensive, VERY time-consuming fanfiction made by VERY dedicated people. It doesn't make them bad; it just means they're not the same as the books. They're enjoyable on their own merits.

A very good way to look at it; reasonable and healthy. I wanted so very much to have a Hobbit movie to like. I just can't quite make this leap. It's even remotely possible that I'll ease up over the ensuing years and begin to see it this way. In the meantime, thank goodness for TolkienEditor!

(By the way, I LOVE your avatar, Ireth. Where is it from? I mean I know it is Wizard of Oz, but that's not the exact witch from the movie. She wasn't that hot! Who is that?)

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Thanks, Incanus! My avatar is Elphaba (aka the Wicked Witch of the West) as she's seen in the musical Wicked, not The Wizard of Oz. Can't recall the actress's name offhand.

Jabrosky

Banned
I know I've said earlier that I didn't mind Tauriel so much in the movies, but now I'm seeing her creation as part of a larger Hollywood trend that I can only describe as cynical and exploitative.

Remember that African-American Annie from last December, and the recent announcements that James Bond will be cast as Afro-British and the Ghostbusters as women? None of these changes would seem objectionable in isolation, but taken in sum, they give off the vibe that Hollywood's using the theme of diversity to disguise their ongoing fetish with reboots and adaptations.

"See, we're not 100% rehashing the cinematic past, because we decided to change X's race and Y's gender!"

(Or in the case of The Hobbit, change one minor elven character's gender and give them a bigger role in the story.)

It's like they believe moviegoers will forgive cinematic cannibalism if it gives certain characters a cosmetic yet politically-charged makeover.

Mythopoet

Auror
Thanks, Incanus! My avatar is Elphaba (aka the Wicked Witch of the West) as she's seen in the musical Wicked, not The Wizard of Oz. Can't recall the actress's name offhand.

The musical Wicked is of course based on the book Wicked by Gregory Maguire which is quite a good read. Recommended.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
The musical Wicked is of course based on the book Wicked by Gregory Maguire which is quite a good read. Recommended.

I read the book before seeing the musical, and I have to say I prefer the latter. The book is too heavy on sex, gore and politics for my taste.

Tom

Istar
I had a friend who loved Wicked--when it was touring at Shea's she pushed me to go see it. She preferred the musical over the book as well. She and I lost contact a few years ago, and I still haven't seen it.

Mythopoet

Auror
I've never seen or heard the musical. Never really felt any desire to (despite being a huge fan of many musicals). I knew it was going to be different from the book and I liked the book. Yes, it was pretty heavy but it had a big emotional impact on me.