• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The importance of a name.

I think it depends on wether its their birth name or a name given to them later.

I mean, it's hard to say a birthname is "heroic" or not, since we accociate names with heroism because we know of heroes that have had those names and thus the names make us think of them. The same with villains. We accociate Sauron with evil because the villain was called Sauron, and Aragorn as a hero because the hero was called Aragron - if they'd been the other way round we'd accocate them with the other thing.

but naming someone after an object is different, as it makes the reader think of the item and that can have bad connotations (or other things). someone called candy invokes the image of being sweet and kind and pleasent, which can be bad for a testosterone-fueled hero in some cases but in others can work. ust use logic

but also don't wrack your name thinking of a name that fits, because any name can fit as long as its written competantly :)

But at the same time, names should be pronouncable and sensible. It's a name afterall, and thus should be useable as one. Apostrophitis or confusing syntax dosen't work, but then I can't think of any name that is hard to pronounce if you understand the language.

Nicknames, however, should fit as they're things given by people based on a consideration of what they do and their qualities (or be a little ironic about it, EG little john for a huge guy). Strider worked perfectly as a pseudonym for Aragorn because thats what he was to most people, a wanderer and traveler. a nicnkame should fit as it invokes some odd fridge logic of how they got it if it dosen't

but then the actual name itself can also sound a little silly. I can recall a pretty good manga I read (yes, be derogitory if you dislike the medium, it's a different form of storytelling and can be just as effective) where the protagonist was known only as (after translation) the legendary prettyboy and it was still made throughout the story to be just as badass as any.

There's a reason why King Arthur was called Wart as a child. Perhaps names shouldn't mean anything, but in literature, they really do.