• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The Truth: How Tolkien Ripped Off Harry Potter

Mindfire

Istar
Seriously people. I couldn't make this up if I tried. Thanks to this enlightened IMDB user, we now know the truth.

harry-potter-650x417.jpg

...Wow. Amazing. Now get off my planet. Please.

Saigonnus

Auror
My god... how thick can people be. At the very least they could have googled which books were written first before blaming harmless old J.R.R of Plagiarism... Too funny though.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Geeze, what a dummy. Everyone knows that Rowling stole that stuff from D&D and Warhammer, first . . . you can't blame Tolkein for using established tropes.

Sorry, it's just too easy sometimes.

Ravana

Istar
Yeah, I'm voting "deliberate joke" here.

I'm thinking. The last line ("think he's featured on the commentary track") kinda gives it away.

Actually, this is really well-written, in terms of spoofing fools who don't bother fact-checking before posting opinions on such matters. As well as a lovely backhand swipe at anyone crowing about the "originality" of Rowling's work… which may have been more what was intended.

Of course, he forgot to mention the use of dragons. Or that the Nazgûl are awfully reminiscent of dementors. Or that Treebeard is an obvious rip-off of Hagrid. Can't have everything, I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
You could have a large rock of Alderaan shipped to the solar system of your choice and placed in orbit like an asteroid.

Mindfire

Istar
You could have a large rock of Alderaan shipped to the solar system of your choice and placed in orbit like an asteroid.

And what would you do for enough air to breathe? An asteroid can't hold an atmosphere of that magnitude!

IT'S A SCAM!

Aravelle

Sage
Ohhh come on. He took from Beowulf, The King of Elfland's Daughter, and The Magic Ring. Foolish troll did not do their research, pwah.

Paladin

Dreamer
Seriously people. I couldn't make this up if I tried. Thanks to this enlightened IMDB user, we now know the truth.

harry-potter-650x417.jpg

...Wow. Amazing. Now get off my planet. Please.

It seems plausible to me. I mean, obviously, Tolkien must have got H.G. Wells to build him a time machine, which allowed him to come forward in time, become a fan of Rowling, then return to his own time to write "The Hobbit" as a tribute.

I do worry about the time paradoxes this has created though...

~Paladin~