• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The Walking Dead

Happy Valentine's! Anyone else watching the premier tonight? Right now I'm hanging with my man, his friends, and the cute little crickets in their dim cold basement, watching the last few episodes. Wearing Valentine's colors too, 5 layers of pink, red, white, and my black and red Don't Git Bit t-shirt. I could smack that Alexandria kid for calling for his mom!

C

Chessie

What a BOMB opening to the rest of the season. So glad certain people are gone and that at least one bit about the comics happened
Carl getting shot in the eye, although wtf was up with them killing Negan right off the bat? He's like the most villainous villain of all villains in that series. My husband mentioned that maybe he wasn't the real Negan but someone pretending to be him. I'm hoping that's the case.

teacup

Auror
My husband mentioned that maybe he wasn't the real Negan but someone pretending to be him.
That wasn't Negan, nor was it someone pretending to be him. That was just some guy who works for Negan.

Negan is going to be played by Jeffrey Dean Morgan.

Loved the episode. Definitely one of the best, if not the best. I'd have to watch the Terminus ep again to decide which I think is better.

Last edited:
C

Chessie

Terminus was pretty B.A. I think my favorite episode of the entire show is the very first one where Rick wakes up in the hospital. Anyway, I'm pretty stoked about where this season is heading. And that they were able to save their town. :)

This was me watching that one scene that happened at night. You know what one I'm talking about.

[video=youtube_share;fs_jx285uv0]https://youtu.be/fs_jx285uv0?t=10s[/video]

Although, half the time when I hear of Rick's zombie plans I can't help but think to myself, "Yeah if you did literally anything other than that plan of Rick's you would be better off.

teacup

Auror
Where are you getting these spoilers?! I'd like to know too.
What do you mean? Everything discussed here is from the latest eps and the actor of Negan was announced a while back. If you mean how to use spoiler tags they're under "go advanced."

ascanius

Inkling
I am so loving the new season of walking dead, it really needed a sense of hope instead of the continuous loss and destruction. One thing that always really irked me is they have no sense of fortifications and defense. Maybe this is just too many RTS, FPS games but come on. They leave all those trees, houses, cars and everything right up against the wall. I makes much more sense to remove everything that can be used as cover. Clear the trees for half a mile around and use the wood to fortify, same with the cars and all the buildings.

I am so loving the new season of walking dead, it really needed a sense of hope instead of the continuous loss and destruction. One thing that always really irked me is they have no sense of fortifications and defense. Maybe this is just too many RTS, FPS games but come on. They leave all those trees, houses, cars and everything right up against the wall. I makes much more sense to remove everything that can be used as cover. Clear the trees for half a mile around and use the wood to fortify, same with the cars and all the buildings.
I maintain that the best plan is to listen to Rick and then not do whatever he suggested and do something totally different.

C

Chessie

For the record, I REALLY hate this season with a passion. Fiery, hellish, putrid hatred of burning filth. Whatever happened to the zombies? Whatever happened to the world having ENDED? Now the show is about who's hooking up with who, people thinking they're bad ass when they're not and putting everyone in danger, and the zombies are an inconvenience: in the middle of conversation? Just stab that zombie in the head and continue arguing with your friend. Hope is for sissies. This is the zombie apocalypse! Come on, man!

Not exciting. Dwight is a moron. Where the hell is Negan? Don't tell me they're ruining everything by keeping Negan from us! I'm so livid!! RAWR!!

And if anyone in the Atlanta group dies, I'm done with the show. This is what I get for reading the comics first. I'm totally spoiled. Honestly, I detest that the show is freaking GOT with all this BS relationship drama when I want blood, gore, to be AFRAID and want the lights on like in seasons 1-4! WHY?!?!?!?!

--End rant

teacup

Auror
For the record, I REALLY hate this season with a passion. Fiery, hellish, putrid hatred of burning filth. Whatever happened to the zombies? Whatever happened to the world having ENDED? Now the show is about who's hooking up with who, people thinking they're bad ass when they're not and putting everyone in danger, and the zombies are an inconvenience: in the middle of conversation? Just stab that zombie in the head and continue arguing with your friend. Hope is for sissies. This is the zombie apocalypse! Come on, man!

Not exciting. Dwight is a moron. Where the hell is Negan? Don't tell me they're ruining everything by keeping Negan from us! I'm so livid!! RAWR!!

And if anyone in the Atlanta group dies, I'm done with the show. This is what I get for reading the comics first. I'm totally spoiled. Honestly, I detest that the show is freaking GOT with all this BS relationship drama when I want blood, gore, to be AFRAID and want the lights on like in seasons 1-4! WHY?!?!?!?!

--End rant

Heh, and this is my favourite one so far :p I love the Alexandria stuff. It was my favourite part of s5 (besides the opening ep which was fantastic) and now I've got a full season of it :D

C

Chessie

Wow. Holy shit was episode 1 of the new season worse than what I was expecting. UGH.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Wow. Holy shit was episode 1 of the new season worse than what I was expecting. UGH.

The more I think about it, the more I hate the episode. If someone wants an example of insincere storytelling, this is it. It's blatantly manipulative. It's all about shock value, not storytelling. IMHO almost nothing that happened was earned in any way. F this show and who ever had a hand in this.

I see a shark and a ramp not too far in the distance, and this show is making a B-line for it.

C

Chessie

But...here's one of the few times I defend this awesome show---it happened the same way in the comics (except for Red, he doesn't go down like that). So in a way, they stayed close to the OG script. Neegan is ALL about shock value. How else does he get to live for free? :)

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Spoilers ahead. For season 7

I read the comic and yes this is how it happened. But with the fake outs last season added to this, it makes it BS for me. For me, they had the currency to buy one but not two and to stretch it out like they did, come on. To do it like this, they make the first feel like a trick to disguise the second, an unnecessary death. And the second makes Darryl look like a stoopid fool because it's his fault. Then the thing with the arm? F them.

One of most manipulative things one can do in a story is to point a gun at a kid, literally and figuratively. So one has to be very careful when treading on ground like that. They just stomped all over it with a no give a crap attitude.

As for Negan, in the comics I never got the impression he was cruel and that's the way he comes off. In the comics he didn't take joy in what he did. Sure it was good to be him but the vilolence felt measured. On tv it felt excessive and manipulative.

C

Chessie

He always seemed brutal to me but you're right, now that I think about it, he didn't use what he did as a way to get off.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
He always seemed brutal to me but you're right, now that I think about it, he didn't use what he did as a way to get off.

Yeah, that's the way I saw it when he set his sights on Carl on the episode. In the comic, him and Carl have this interesting relationship. In the comic Negan could be good to people and nasty. That is what made him interesting.

The whole episode's purpose was to break Rick, again. Dude breaks more than someone stuck in rush hour traffic. In the comic, Rick knew when to play ball with Negan. He didn't act all macho and threaten him. Why would he do that when the life of his son is at risk? In the comic, Rick acted submissive while plotting to take Negan down. That was smart. Which brings me to something else that bugs me.

They used the worst tactic to make Negan look badass. They diminished characters so they wouldn't shine as bright. It's similar to when in order to make a character look smart, they make another normally smart character do something dumb. And to me, that's the worst way to do things.

Instead of making Negan a bigger badass, they made Rick less of one. Grrrr...

Any way. Thanks for letting me rant at you. :D

Last edited:
C

Chessie

Reaver, I agree 100%. I've basically lost interest at this point. It's never about the zombies anymore and that's the whole hook. I don't think I'll be watching anymore. Interesting that Glenn's death was also the cut off point for me with the comics.