• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Themes for vampires

Tom

Istar
Hmm...'nother thought about my vampires.

They can't feel the cold and are immune to it, can only feel extreme heat (translates as pain), and have muted pain reception. Will longs to feel heat and warmth again, but because he's a vampire, has a natural affinity to cold. What comes to mind when you think about that?

Tom

Istar
Oh wow, that's dead-on, Phillip.

I know when a lot of people think of death, they think blood, fear, rage...basically the color red. I'm an artist and a highly visual person, and I often think in colors (which is, yeah, kinda weird). When I think of death, I think of cold, a winter's night, quiet fear, surrender to the inevitable, ice...death comes across as a cold, dark, pure blue to me.

It's not as dramatic as Hollywood says it is, no "rage, rage against the dying of the light". It's quiet, and sad, and gentle.

Okay, enough of me being vaguely (and badly) poetic. Does that description of death make sense? And does it fit into the themes I've chosen for my story?

Philster401

Maester
I'm an artist also, not a very good one, but I'm taking art classes to get better. Also yes they seem to fit perfectly with vampires and that description defines death perfectly in my opinion

FarmerBrown

Troubadour
I know when a lot of people think of death, they think blood, fear, rage...basically the color red....death comes across as a cold, dark, pure blue to me.

It's not as dramatic as Hollywood says it is, no "rage, rage against the dying of the light". It's quiet, and sad, and gentle.

Okay, enough of me being vaguely (and badly) poetic. Does that description of death make sense? And does it fit into the themes I've chosen for my story?

Yes! I love it. Vampires = blood = red / white contrast <-- that's the dominating imagery in modern vampire stories. Also, super-strength and fighting tooth and nail, again more blood....So, your imagery of blue and white and black paints a very bleak, lonely picture indeed. The things about modern vampire stories that really bother me (and successfully steers me away from generally reading them) are the focus on carnal needs: getting heat from humans and feeding off them. Again, more red/white imagery.

If Will longs for heat, what about a blue flame? You said he can only feel extreme heat. Maybe he can experiment with finding that "sweet spot" between warmth and pain. I can imagine him standing by a propane stove with a white hand extended, toasting his fingers until the point they burn, but the sensation of warmth is worth it.... I dunno. ;-) I just know I like the direction you're going.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

Istar
Look what I found while pin-ball-bouncing around on deviantArt (hey, I was bored).

I know I'm spamming my own thread, but this is so beautiful I am weeping tears of joy.

Why can't Buffy come through and stake all the Cullens?

Most of my wish came true.

Pythagoras

Troubadour
Only against modern vampire literature, and who cares about that?

I suppose it depends on your definition of modern, because Bram Stoker sure was not ancient literature, but lust is a huge part of Dracula. I suspect that's why vampire literature eventually evolved into Twilight. I mean, nothing has redefined what it means to be a vampire the way Dracula has, and he was very seductive (and creepy). I think that was probably the original break from the zombie-vamps of old.

I suppose it depends on your definition of modern, because Bram Stoker sure was not ancient literature, but lust is a huge part of Dracula. I suspect that's why vampire literature eventually evolved into Twilight. I mean, nothing has redefined what it means to be a vampire the way Dracula has, and he was very seductive (and creepy). I think that was probably the original break from the zombie-vamps of old.

Not quite. There were other authors (including Lord Byron!) writing non-zombie vampire stories before Bram Stoker, and I've heard some phases of those were... different. Others were on the path to Dracula, so Stoker didn't create the vampire we think of, he's what's called the "trope codifier" who refined it and locked it in for us.

SM-Dreamer

Troubadour
Oh wow, that's dead-on, Phillip.

I know when a lot of people think of death, they think blood, fear, rage...basically the color red. I'm an artist and a highly visual person, and I often think in colors (which is, yeah, kinda weird). When I think of death, I think of cold, a winter's night, quiet fear, surrender to the inevitable, ice...death comes across as a cold, dark, pure blue to me.

Ha, I feel the same way regarding color. As for vampires and red... I see them as black and white, starlight, something distant and cold, eternal memory and solitude and sorrow. You make perfect sense.

In regards to the idea of black and white, you could explore more of the ideas behind that. After all, darkness is the absence of light. Also, cold is the absence of heat. Loneliness is the absence of company. A theme that has existed in vampire stories for a long time is their absence of their humanity, or of the person that they once were. I feel like you can play around with these ideas and come up with some cool stuff.