• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Those most Memorable Dreams

I just remembered another dream that I had.

I was hanging out with my friends.

Then this clown started chasing us. He chased me into my house and cornered me in the basement and that's where the dream ended.

I'm pretty sure that I had watched the old version of It before I went to sleep that night. I might be able to turn it into a story, but I'm not sure.

Datar

Acolyte
Most of the dreams shared here are either beautiful, absolutely horrifying, or mysterious, so I'm a bit hesitant to be sharing mine because they're often quite silly and not profound at all! To be fair, my brain hardly considers anything a nightmare at night, so some dreams that could be viewed as nightmares were just "oh, exciting!" for me.

One of my most memorable dreams was during my studies.
My cohort and my professors were dedicated to fighting Lord Voldemort, and for that purpose, we've had an own headquarters to meet in secret. The problem was that the headquarters was 98% windows and everyone could look inside.
We managed to engage Voldemort in an intense fight. He disarmed me, and I unthinkingly grabbed the Elder Wand and snapped it in half.
Voldemort stopped. Stared. And went:
"WHY DID YOU DO THAT"
Me, confused: "...what?"
Voldemort: "You've screwed up the suspense! That's not in the script!"
Apparently it was all a play and only I didn't know about it.
Sorry, Voldemort.

Vel

Dreamer
One of my most memorable dreams I had about 7 or 8 months ago.

I'm living in London around the victorian era. Right in the center of the city. I don't remember where and when exactly my dream started (who does?) but the first thing I remember is walking down the road and into a public restroom. The restroom was modern. It looked exactly like my old middle school bathrooms. It was dim and the walls were the same off-white, almost yellow tile. It even had stained mirrors just as I remembered. I do my business and go to wash my hands but instead of water, a very cold and acid-like liquid came out of the faucet. I turned to see if anyone else had seen what I did. But nope. The others were just rising their hands in the "McDonalds sprite" water as if it was normal. I was confused but in the dream, it had made total sense.

I walk out of the restrooms and see small shops and stalls with people selling fruits and bread, stuff like that. I decide to walk into a grocery store and again, it's modern. It looks like the inside of Kroger or H-E-B (for the non-texans H-E-B is only the BEST grocery store there is :p) and the main thing I wanted was orange and lime sorbet. So I go to the frozen while, get my sorbet, and head to the checkout to pay. I stop and look at the roses on display and look up and see a man staring back at me. I had a very strange feeling about him so I ran ( and I mean RAN) to pay and leave. As I'm paying, I hear screams from outside the store. Naturally everyone else inside including me runs out to see what's going on. There were barbies attacking people. Yes. Barbies. Life sized barbies. They were all dressed in ball gowns used their umbrella handles as guns.

My dream does that weird time skip that dreams do and I'm now along the southern coast of England. Not too far away there's an island that looks like literal hell. As I was looking at the island the same man from the flower section at the store walks next to me, points to the island, and says "that's where they are made." I was confused and asked who. He responds with "the dolls, doll." For some reason, he had called me "doll". I guess that was his nickname for me? I look back at the island and see a volcano about to erupt (think of it as the food machine from cloudy with a chance of meatballs, how it fills up with all the food and pops it all out like a pimple:sick:). The man gets into a boat and throws me an oar.

Another time skip, we reach the island, and it's all covered in some kind of molten rock and hot lava flowing down the hills and into the water. The island is not very big, probably no bigger than Kaho'olawe Island. Another short time skip, and we're standing on the island. Soon we saw more barbies swimming in the lava towards us and use our oars to throw water at the barbies one by one. We fought hundreds of barbies until we made our way to the source. It was tons of conveyor belts at the top of a small mountain producing the life-sized barbies. At this point, I couldn't really remember many details of the dream. But I do remember we beat up the machine and stopped the barbies from swimming towards England.
The last thing I remember from the dream was giving the man a high five for saving the world from life-sized, killer barbies.

This dream is totally something that Steven Moffat would write for an episode of Doctor Who...Its the right amount of bizarre.

Suli

Acolyte
Dream?
We moved to a small town in the country when I was around 12 and the old house had so much work to make it livable that we did not get to go explore. We were literally tearing out walls and redoing them for the first few months and sort of camping in it. At night I was exhausted but frustrated with all work and no play. I have always had a really difficult time getting to sleep and lie awake for hours waiting for sleep to claim me. I slowly relax and try to turn off my senses one by one. This particular night as I did this I started coming loose from my body and floating upwards, I look down and my stubborn toes won't let go so my astral self gives a good kick and there I am free at last to go explore!
I zoom out the window and look around our acreage, I zoom over the small town but it's all asleep. I enjoy the flying and swoop over the soft green hills, but I am drawn to the woods. It's not a big wooded area but just around 5 or 6 acres. I travel the paths and explore the tire swing I find near the stream. The best thing I find is a hollow tree that has fallen across a path long unused and I hear someone whispering, "Shhh be very quiet and the human will not find us." So of course I stop, look and listen. I finally lie down on the path peering under the log to find a family of mice staring back at me. I remember talking with them for awhile as it was wonderful being able to understand them. They calmed down and told me about the woods, they called it the Witch's Cradle. I left and tried talking to some horses in a corral but they were to scared and ran away. I wanted to talk to my dog but then it was over and I was in bed sleeping.

Maybe a month later one of the kids asked if I wanted to go to Witch's Cradle and that was truly what the woods were called, the log was there but I didn't disturb the mice. I was stunned that I already knew the way there and every trail. I kept trying to do it again, the dream travel and tried to find books on it in the library but the school library didn't have much. (Yes this was before internet)
I was able to dream-walk many times as a child but it gets harder to let go with age. I do remember that was the only time in my life that I ever felt truly safe, nothing there could ever hurt me.

1. I was walking down a street, and I saw a man who looked just like my father. He had long hair and wore a black suit. We walked together, and he told me about his life. He said he was born in a small town in Texas, and that he grew up in a family where everyone loved each other. He said he wanted to go to college, but he didn't have enough money. So, he decided to move to California and become a musician. But, he couldn't make any money playing music, so he started working at a gas station. There, he met a woman named Mary. She was beautiful, and she liked him right away. They got married, and they moved to San Francisco. After a few years, they had a son named John. When John turned five, he began to act out. He would hit people, scream, and throw things. His parents were worried about what was going on, and they took him to a psychiatrist. The doctor diagnosed him with schizophrenia. He prescribed medicine, and everything seemed fine. Then, after a while, John stopped taking his medication. One day, he went to school and threw a chair at a teacher's head. The police came, and they arrested him. He spent two weeks in jail before being released on bail. He was put under house arrest until he could get back on his feet again.

This Sticky thread of The Dreamscape is dedicated to the sharing of your greatest dreams.

The same can be done in other threads, but the idea behind this one is to share and describe in detail those dreams that have been the most powerful and intense that you have experienced. You know, those dreams that really shook you and that you can still remember very well even many years later.

Even if the Dream in question was frightening, maybe there is some Storytelling potential in it. If the dream was pleasant and made you feel great, even better!

We can discuss our greatest dreams, and talk about how they could become a story or assist in one.

The Dreams shared here do not really need to be applied to the storytelling and writing process. If you want to share a memorable dream just for the pleasure of it, you are welcome!
I can’t say this is my greatest dream but it was my most memorable.

My dream jumps into myself and a friend receiving an invite from an anonymous person to come to an elegant dance out in the country side. We decided that it wouldn’t hurt because it was a famous dance that not many people were invited to and we were just honored to go.

So we get dressed up in beautiful ball gowns. I remembered that mine was gold and made of silk and it drooped down my low back and my hair was pinned up. We drove to the ball and it was magnificent. The ceiling touched the sky and was draped with crystal chandeliers. The entire room was sparkling in gold and there were old paintings from the renaissance that decorated the room. There were two large staircases that lead to a giant room upstairs that had a labyrinth of corridors and Rooms. There were so many people there but they were all wearing masks, to which we were given our own masks at the door.

The dream fasts forward and my friend and I were dancing and having fun, drinking champagne when all of the sudden we heard gunshots and people started to drop to the floor.

I remembered seeing a few men in masks and tuxedoes holding guns and shouting, but I couldn’t make out what they were saying in the midsts of people screaming and running around chaotically. My body went into fight or flight mode, and I grabbed my friends hand and we booked it upstairs to hide in of the many rooms. We ended up sealing ourselves in one of the bathrooms. I remembered feeling how fast my heart was beating while my friend was sobbing in the corner. For some reason she had lost her phone and I had only a flip phone at the time (I have never owned a flip phone as I am only 26) but for some reason I had a flip phone. I was attempting to dial my dad and try and call him but before I was able to the door was slammed open an these men grabbed us and dragged us outside.

Quickly I realized that this was human trafficking event as they were Grabbing other young women and dragging them into other cars. There were so many people dead on the ground and it was horrifying.

They pushed us into the car and started to drive off. For some reason I must have hid the phone because although my hands were handcuffed , I was able to reach it and dial my dad again (again, not too sure why I didn’t call 911… but I love and trust my dad so that must had been it). So I called him and try to be sneaky in asking where were going and who they were. Suddenly the man in the passenger side saw that I had Calle him and he got so angry that he grabbed a long knife and stabbed me in the stomach. I remember the pain was so sharp that I screamed and that is when I woke up! I felt that stab… it was wild!

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Like I said somewhere in this thread, I almost never remember my dreams.

I had a strange one recently. For whatever reason, I was moving in my childhood home, and walking through the garage to the oustide, but there was my dad, who was seemingly returning from someplace outside. It was strange because it was like he was away for a long time, but I knew that could not be, we would have noticed. He had on strange clothes, and held a license plate from Texas. And when I asked about it, he said he has moving to Texas, and I knew that meant separate from us. It was jarring to me, and I woke up, and I felt unsatisfied cause I wanted to find out more.

My dad died about two years ago. Laying in the dark, and trying to sort it out, I had a very strong feeling that my dad had moved on. Like he was still lingering around all of us somehow, but had instead decided to not be a ghost and headed towards whatever awaited him. It felt like a final sign from him.

I have no way to verify, but I think I will remember that one for a very long time.

Redfrogcrab

Troubadour
Kinda not a dream, but it did happen a few weeks ago when I was trying to go to sleep,

I saw tall, dark beings standing at the edge of my bed, they whispered some things I did not like and choose not to share here. They stood there for what felt like hours, I felt like something malicious was there, watching me, waiting for me to fall asleep and attack. I couldn't sleep, I could move, but I couldn't yell, all I could do is hide under the covers and hope they went away, like a scared lil kid.

Whatever it was, I didn't like it at all, and I hope I never have these dreams ever again

Smokedog

The stillness of silence surrounds me as I float formless, and weightless before a vast expanse at the edge of an endless sea. The sea stretches out before and beyond the limits of my vision. The seas still surface is a vast nebulous reflection of the sky above as if it was a mirrors surface. Great clouds of gas can be seen rolling and swelling and retracting in upon themselves as a cascade of vivid colors and lights that rhythmically flash along their edges like waves upon a shore.

There is a static charge in the air that surrounds me, and with each flash of light I feel my existence thump like some massive heartbeat that is hidden deep within the stormy sky. I cannot tell where the sky begans and the water ends, as they meld together as if they are one and the same. I can not discern the height of the sky or the depths of the sea, the clouds go up in a multitude of different layers beyond my comprehension, and the waters reflects them so I cannot see beyond the reflection to measure the depths

I look down where my feet should be and notice that a few feet below me is a long narrow wooden pier made out of old wooden boards. They jut out on the surface before me as single boards flat on the water. They remind me of stepping stones in a garden. They are not attached tother but are separated by a space of no less then a foot between them. The pier if you can call it that winds from side to side like a wooden snake slithering across the lawn for around 100 feet and ends abruptly.

In the moment that I first noticed the peir and became aware of it, I instantly found myself at the end of the peir. It's as if the world folded and changed around me. It moved, but I remained still. I was there and had no logical process or understanding of how I got there. Its as if thought alone created my reality and I was there.

In that moment of confusion I started getting an overwhelming need to jump off the end of the peir. For a fraction of a millisecond I hesitated with fear and excitement. I recall closing my eyes and getting the sensation as if the world blinked.

In the time it takes to blink I was flying through the endless vast expanse. Again I had no comprehension of depth or hight, nor up or down. Yet I recall an overwhelming feeling of freedom that I had never experienced until that moment. There were no limits, no boundaries, no time, no space. There was existence. Nothing less, and nothing more. It was awe inspiring and frighteningly exilerating. I have never forgotten this dream experience and I think I never will.

Peace

Last edited: