• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Time span

I am often looking at my plots for my novel but this keeps bugging me. Many times throughout the story, there is a gap in time. Sort of like a, "2 years later" thing. Obviously I am going to let the reader know (in someway or another) that there was a leap forward in time but do you think it is bad for novels to do this?

In the example of me using a "2 years later" I don't want to have to explain how "everything" got to the point it is 2 years later because I don't want it to sound like a history lesson. It wouldn't be focusing on the importance of the plot. At the same time, please don't think I am just trying to skip to the important events in the plot and not add anything else in between. Many times in my plot there will be drastic changes in society, war, etc. and it can't just be an overnight thing. It will take some time for these changes to occur.

So what is your opinion: Do you think it is good or bad if novels have multiple "jump aheads" through the plot timeline?

(I'm sure the best answer would be "It depends on how well it is executed." While that is 100% right, I want to hear your personal tastes and thoughts)

It can be quite good if its done well. Its certainly great for the writer, but not something that should occur too often, unless thats how the story goes. Sometimes the reader might feel they have missed out on something exciting they would have liked to read firsthand, but you can always make up for this with the wonderful gizmo known as flashback.

Janga

Minstrel
One good way to show that time has passed is that the relationships between the characters will be different two years later. Maybe characters who did not get along well are now closer... or more distant, things like that.

Telcontar

Staff
I imagine others will strongly disagree with me on this, but I've run into this same problem and here's my take: Don't leap forward - fast forward.

Give the readers a sketch of what occurs in those years. It's going to be a lot of exposition, a lot of 'telling' instead of 'showing,' but sometimes that's needed. Only give them the interested and relevant events, but give the sense of time passing quickly rather than taking them instantly two years into the future of the story.

It is often useful to get your characters (the main ones, at least) to a point of relative stasis before you begin this, as one would assume if interesting things were still happening to your mains why would you need to fast forward? If they are just living quietly, though, working a boring 9-5 while the world changes around them, it's better to handle things through exposition.

Alternatively, you might consider switching viewpoints and doing a couple chapters from another character who has a more interesting perspective during that time.

W.k. Trail

Scribe
Oof, this is one of my pet peeves. I always feel frustrated by time-skips, especially when character relationships change "off-camera" - I usually feel like I've been cheated of quality time with the characters if I like them.

In my opinion it works better if you can jump forward between stories or between books, because that gives a more natural leaving-off point and big changes in between are a little more expected.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Timing is everything. I think it works best if most of the loose ends kind of wrap up so it can feel like this episode of their lives has been reasonably tied off. Obviously something has to linger or else the story wouldn't continue, but they can fall into the background. Also, as Telcontar has mentioned, you should give us some information about the intermittent time period. Even then, it is - and should be - like returning to somewhat different characters.

I can't offhand think of a story that would justify more than one or two time jumps, but I'm sure they're out there.