• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Time to move to the UK

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Ah... before you move here.
Do you put the milk or tea in the cup first?

I've done it both ways. Is there a preferred order? Just now I did tea first, but a couple of days ago I put milk in the cup first while I was waiting for the tea to be ready :)

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
The milk first?

Were you wearing a red coat and a white wig?

Seriously. That's about as un-American as... un-apple pie.

That's all I got.

My wife tells me that you should pour the cream into coffee while stirring. Since Chinese tea is served without milk or sugar, and Hong Kong was British-owned, there's a chance, albeit a small one, that her way is the British way, which might apply to tea, not just coffee.

In any case, it's her way, so I gotta do that.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I love chai.

And it's the only tea I add milk to.

Delight, actually.

Maybe I'm the one who's un-American.

Or am I just wussy?

MadMadys

Troubadour
Hardly anyone I know in the U.S. puts milk in tea, with the exception of chai, which often comes that way.

I put milk in my tea but I'm not one to follow the rules. You could say that's one of the rules of my life but alas, I don't follow any rules. Even my own.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Simple, just purchase a monocle and talk about scones... They'll leave you alone.

A monacle isn't a bad idea. If I get one, I also need a pocket watch, so I can take the watch out of my pocket and squint at it through the monacle when someone asks for the time.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I put hot cocoa in my coffee. When I put in cocoa powder first, then milk, then coffee, there ends up being a thin layer of foam at the top that isn't there the other way around.

I don't usually put milk in my tea, but I don't really drink much tea. I have friends who are big on it, though, and they would say it depends on the tea.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Wow, I must be more British than I thought, the number of cups of tea with milk I get through. Do Americans even drink much tea without milk?

Iced, mostly. With sugar to the saturation point if you're in the south (which is why you add the sugar hot, then ice the tea. If sugar doesn't come out of solution, there's not enough in it). I'm an outcast there as well, because I drink my iced tea unsweetened :)

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I put hot cocoa in my coffee. When I put in cocoa powder first, then milk, then coffee, there ends up being a thin layer of foam at the top that isn't there the other way around.

I've done that before as well. It's good.

Iced, mostly. With sugar to the saturation point if you're in the south (which is why you add the sugar hot, then ice the tea. If sugar doesn't come out of solution, there's not enough in it). I'm an outcast there as well, because I drink my iced tea unsweetened :)

Maybe over here drinking tea is something you end up doing because everyone else is doing it.

I don't know if you really want to move here though, a lot of the cities are hardly the most pleasant places to be. Nice enough if you live in the countryside or a rural village though.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I don't know if you really want to move here though, a lot of the cities are hardly the most pleasant places to be. Nice enough if you live in the countryside or a rural village though.

Well, according to a slip of paper I have, I own one square foot of land somewhere on the Isle of Islay, courtesy of the Laphroaig Distillery. I thought I might get a pole roughly a square foot in diameter, plant it on my square foot of ground, and then just build at platform at the top of it. Saves on rent and I'm close to the scotch.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
In Japan you can buy milk tea. That's right. The milk and tea are already together! So you could move to Japan too if you wanted.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
In Japan you can buy milk tea. That's right. The milk and tea are already together! So you could move to Japan too if you wanted.

I would like to live in Japan just for the experience. An ex-gf of mine lived there for a year and taught English on an island somewhere. She loved it.