• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Top 100 Fantasy Authors (How Many Have You Read?)

Ophiucha

Auror

On the one hand, I like that the list put a lot of the classics further down. Let the new authors shine! Shove Tolkien down to 90 and let N.K. Jemisin a spot in the top 50. On the other hand, Christopher Paolini ranked four higher than Terry Pratchett, so this list is an abomination that I feel slightly dirty even having in my internet history. :p

On the one hand, I like that the list put a lot of the classics further down. Let the new authors shine! Shove Tolkien down to 90 and let N.K. Jemisin a spot in the top 50. On the other hand, Christopher Paolini ranked four higher than Terry Pratchett, so this list is an abomination that I feel slightly dirty even having in my internet history. :p

You do realize it's alphabetical, right?

Ophiucha

Auror
Ha, I didn't actually. Woopsies. ^^;; Although I maintain that Paolini still shouldn't rank at all on a Top 100.

Still, I like that there are a lot of post-2000s authors on the list. A lot of these lists stick very much to the Tolkien through Jordan era of fantasy, which was a fine time, but aside from a few people like Martin and Rothfuss, few new guys make the list. I guess it's a 'we don't know if they'll have any longevity' thing, but really, is 20 years long enough to determine that?

Kaellpae

Inkling
I got 9. I've started books from about 17, but I get distracted easily when it comes to a new series or author. I didn't count Brandon Sanderson because the Wheel of Time isn't really his, and I only got halfway through the first Mistborn before I was distracted. I need to vary my reading and not go back to old favorites so much.

A.F.Grappin

Dreamer
Wow... Only 19. At least I've heard of many of them, and I have books on my reading list for many more of them. My problem is that I latch onto one author and then read a lot of their books, so I don't get to anyone new for some time after. I am learning to remedy that, however! I just need more hours per day to read!

peteks

Acolyte
I got 34. I'm just left befuddled at the fact that Paolini got on that list. I mean, his books are something to kill time, but he is definitely not top 100 material in fantasy authors, not by a mile.

I got 34. I'm just left befuddled at the fact that Paolini got on that list. I mean, his books are something to kill time, but he is definitely not top 100 material in fantasy authors, not by a mile.

Some people like an author who writes a cliche plot, but writes it with absolute sincerity. (That's what Weis and Hickman are most famous for, and they're on the list as well.)

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Some people like an author who writes a cliche plot, but writes it with absolute sincerity. (That's what Weis and Hickman are most famous for, and they're on the list as well.)

But Weis and Hickman could right tolerably well (and by 'tolerably,' I mean the writing was OK, not great). Paolini's writing is, with one exception, the worst writing I've come across in fiction.

But Weis and Hickman could right tolerably well (and by 'tolerably,' I mean the writing was OK, not great). Paolini's writing is, with one exception, the worst writing I've come across in fiction.

I won't argue that point. I read Eragon long before I started writing outside classwork, and even at the time, I felt like I could come up with better lines than "I fear someday we shall all wake up with our throats slit." Still, I do think there's something there. (I'll get into it more when we have the topic on Paolini.)

I've only read two!!!!!!! :cry:

Why? Why did I have to feed myself on a diet of only manga and Douglas Adams (RIP)?

I'm new to fantasy, and I've just started writing a book. Any recommendations?

That depends on what manga you like. For instance, if you like Record of Lodoss War, I'd say R.A. Salvatore (or maybe Weis and Hickman), and if you like Ghost in the Shell, I'd say Richard K. Morgan.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I've only read two!!!!!!! :cry:

Why? Why did I have to feed myself on a diet of only manga and Douglas Adams (RIP)?

I'm new to fantasy, and I've just started writing a book. Any recommendations?

You couldn't really go wrong with reading the authors on that list. There are several on there that I lament having not read as well. Even though I own about half of them.

If you like Douglas Adams, then maybe Terry Pratchett and Piers Anthony would be good choices?

Nihal

Vala
That depends on what manga you like. For instance, if you like Record of Lodoss War, I'd say R.A. Salvatore (or maybe Weis and Hickman), and if you like Ghost in the Shell, I'd say Richard K. Morgan.

I wouldn't say R.A. Salvatore, he writes too many mullets-in-the-wind scenes... *runs away*
Weis and Hickman are closer.

Shockley

Maester
Some of these guys don't belong here, some of them were looked over.

I only got 20, but I have been very open about my preference for so-called 'serious' literature (and also cowboy and horror stories, but whatev).

Drakhov

Minstrel
16, but have most on my 'to do' list - i'm surprised at who isn't on the list to be honest - someone mentioned Moorcock, - William Gibson, Philip K Dick anyone? (unless they're defining fantasy as 'has magic and / or swords and stuff in it).