• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

TOR Authors Give Tips

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
\TOR’S TOP TIPS: OUR AUTHORS ON WRITING « Tor Books

Worth a look from one of the top publishers of fantasy fiction out there's current roster of writers.

I particularly like the advice of Gary Gibson, Jay Kristoff, and (ironically enough) F.R. Tallis (the tip not take take tips too seriously :) )

I always like to read quick advice because sometimes I can find something to add to my list of processes. It's always good to keep learning things from people who are out there doing it.

Roc

Troubadour
When I get ready to publish I'll consider TOR.

Gary Gibson's advice was the best in my opinion. I've been known to worry way too much about quality in the first draft. A bad habit I'm trying to get rid of.

Last edited:

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Write for yourself. Something that you want to read. More than that; that you’re desperate to read. Then hopefully some of that passion will leak onto the page.
I like these words and I sort of agree with all of the tips but for some reason I find my hackles rising on the penultimate tip by Paul Cornell. Maybe I need to work on that...

Ireth

Myth Weaver
I agree with most of those, except the one that says to stop writing in mid-sentence. All too often I find that if I leave a sentence unfinished and come back to it later, I'll forget where I was going and get stuck trying to remember or think of something else.