• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Trying to prove the Inexistence of the Mirror World

And then there is Interstitial String Theory which suggests that all realities are latices that interweave with all others. It means that in all ways but one our current space is shared with countless others. If there was a way of moving in that one dimension alone you could travel to new realities. [Apparently it make a lot of the maths easier] A physicist friend of mine hates this theory with a passion that is almost scary because he admits it might explain the paranormal

No offense to your friend, but he doesn't sound like a very good scientist. Science isn't about disproving supernatural stuff - if something actually exists in reality, science has to accept it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Hello everyone =)

Something funny happened to me last night: I was enjoying my instant noodles soup, it was really good and then, when it was half finished, I realized suddenly that Mirror Sheila was gazing up at me from the surface of the delicious liquid...

"Oh, it's you again..." I thought.

Well, it so happens that even believe-it-all Sheilawisz has to present resistance to the idea that my soup is a gateway to another universe, so I have been forced to accept that Mirror Sheila is, at least in the vast majority of reflective surfaces, just an optical illusion created by light particles that have bounced off something =)

Anyway, the Mirror Experiment would go like this- Every phrase that I write in Italics now will represent the words that shall be written on every piece of paper to be shown to Mirror Sheila:

1- I will tell you the truth.
2- My name is Sheila.

So far, we both are telling the truth to each other.

3- I'll tell you the truth again.
4- Our definitions of West and East are exactly the same.
5- Our definitions of Left and Right are exactly the same, as well.

You see how the trick will hit her??

6- I'll tell you the truth, once again.

And now, the final moment:

7- The East is to my Right.

If her piece of paper says the same, she will be lying at the same time that I tell her the truth. If she has written Left instead of Right, then we'll have some trouble...

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Anyway, the Mirror Experiment would go like this- Every phrase that I write in Italics now will represent the words that shall be written on every piece of paper to be shown to Mirror Sheila:

Are you doing this with flash cards or writing them all on one page? I would do it slowly, on film, after a few drinks, in the middle of the night, in a room that's badly lit, with flash cards. And I'd be sure to say my name three times first.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
I want to try the experiment using flash cards indeed, Devor =)

It will be slowly for sure, at night, maybe with candlelight... I am not sure about saying my name three times first, because that could probably invoke something and the experiment is not aimed at entities invoked through a mirror.

You can bet that I will have enough wine before I try this!!

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Instead of flash cards get tarot cards. Draw from the deck and lay them face down in front of you. Then turn them one at a time and see if mirror Sheila turns over the same cards or whether she has a different destiny.

Chime85

Sage
Make sure you write everything backwards, and that other Sheila does the same. Otherwise there will be two scratching heads in this experiment lol

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Well, last night was Halloween and I decided to finally try my experiment to demonstrate, once and for all, the inexistence of the Mirror World...

I followed all the steps sitting on my bed in front of my huge mirror, showing Mirror Sheila all the pieces of paper with the messages in the right order... and guess what? When I showed her the last message, her written reply was exactly this: The East is to my Left.

After taking some seconds to recover, I took another piece of paper and wrote to her: "So, you are real, eh?" Then, she replied: "Don't mess with me!" after reading that, I had to tell her: "Yeah, like I could not take you on!"

Then, Mirror Sheila jumped out of the mirror with her hands straight to my throat!!

We were fighting, rolling on my bed, I was punching her, she was punching me, I was like OMG!! and then Mirror Sheila jumped back into the mirror to get her Aluminum sword... I was faster, got my sword first and I broke the mirror before she could come back to attack me.

I could hear a weak, distant scream while the pieces of glass were falling...

Well, not really- I did not try the experiment, and after thinking about it a lot all this time, I have decided that I do not want to try doing that and I never will.

In case that any of you wants to try the Sheilawisz Mirror experiment with a compass, pieces of paper and a large south-facing mirror, please tell me what happened =)

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Well, not really- I did not try the experiment, and after thinking about it a lot all this time, I have decided that I do not want to try doing that and I never will.

I used to read through piles and piles of nbon-fiction 'paranormal investigation' type books. Ghosts, UFO's, psychic abilities, all sorts of weird stuff. By authors ranging from really hard core sceptics to true believers and all the shades in between.

After a lot of reading, I noticed something...a paranormal researcher would suggest that 'X' could make the basis for an interesting experiment...and then nothing. Some of these experiments were interesting enough to where even negative results would have been of interest - but I couldn't find out *anything* about them. I began to wonder if the results had been suppressed, or flopped big time. Then, after a great deal more reading, I started coming across references these experiments had not been undertaken at all...deliberately. Nothing legal, ethical, or financial, just a complete 'dead stop' on the part of the researchers. And finally I came across a short piece which said pretty much the same thing as Sheliawisz did in her last paragraph.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
@ThinkerX: I have read loads about the Paranormal and researchers and all that stuff as well, and I have to agree with those that have suddenly stopped before venturing into something that gave them an awkward feeling... There are things that are better to leave alone and forget.

@Steerpike: How did you know?! Well, Real-world Sheila decided to live for some time at the Mirror world, and currently she's a Moderator of the Mirror Mythic Scribes while I have fun here =)

We'll be returning to our own worlds within a few days.