• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Twelve Orders System of Magic

Roc

Troubadour
Intresting, what abilitys would an Order like this have?
Anyway I've been working on the 7th Order.

The Order of Strength The Order of Strength gives it's wizards the ability to enhance their, and their allies, natural abilitys such as Strength, speed, reflexes, etc. The most powerful of the Wizards of Strength might be able to boost their reflexes to match even a Wizard of Time. Wizards of Strength are always wanting to increase their abilitys naturally as well, and place high importence on exerciese and proper diet. The God of Strength loves sports and often hosts his own games similar to the Olympics.

Also in reply to Jamber, there won't be sub-orders. Some Wizards may choose to focus on a particular thing (Such as Herbal Lore) but it won't be like you were describing.

I feel like this goes with the Order of Enhancement.

Phietadix

Auror
Alright, through chatting me and Mindfire have come up with the next order

The Order of Preservation The Wizards of preservation are primairily pacisfsts, they want peace and a worl free from pain. their magic give them the ability to heal wounds, track those who are lost and shield others from harm. They lovers of the truth and have the magical abiltiy to dectect it. They often serve as Counelors, physicians, and judges. There god is also a lover of peace. He rarely, if ever gets into wars with the other eleven or try and trick the other gods. He deeply regrets what he tried to do to Adonai, unlike all the other gods. He mainly gets his enjoyment from helping and shielding others.

Mindfire

Istar
Phietadix, I was looking over the orders you have so far and counting the ones we chatted about you have ten of them now: Creation, Substance, Fate, Time, Vitality, Strength, Awakening, Animation, Preservation, and Discipline. This means you need two more. I think I've figured out a vague idea of what the last two are.

It occurred to me that all the orders can be arranged with relation to two axes. I'm sure you're familiar with the Lawful/Chaotic, Good/Evil alignment system? Well I imagined the alignment system for the Orders to be Orderly/Chaos, Practical/Whimsical. Orderly vs. Chaos is about whether an Order encourages its wizards to engage in much contemplation and reflection before acting or encourages them to instead act on instinct. Practical vs. Whimsical is about whether an order's magic is concerned primarily with the physical world and useful knowledge of magic or rather with the spiritual and imaginative side of things. The pure forms of each of these alignments are displayed in the four basic or "primal" or "foundational" orders. The Order of Substance represents practicality, the Order of Creation represents whimsicality, the Order of Time represents orderliness, and the Order of Fate represents chaos. The other 6 orders created so far are a mixture of two alignments.

• Animation is primarily practical and secondarily orderly
  • Preservation is primarily orderly and secondarily practical
  • Discipline is primarily orderly and secondarily whimsical
  • Vitality is primarily whimsical and secondarily chaotic
  • Strength is primarily chaotic and secondarily practical
  • Awakening is primarily practical and secondarily chaotic

The two currently missing orders fill in the remaining gaps:
Missing #1 is primarily chaotic and secondarily whimsical.
Missing #2 is primarily whimsical and secondarily orderly.

This gives a broad idea of the philosophy and direction of the two missing orders. As I mentioned in chat, something to do with shadows would be a good candidate for #1. #2 remains a mystery to me.

Phietadix

Auror
I'm not sure about your conclusions above. But I'll wait to hear what you come up with. Awakening and Dicipline haven't fully been approved. They still seem to overlap abit too much with other orders. I'm going to try and come up with the Order of Light.

Roc

Troubadour
I majorally agree with the person that says there is a distinct hierarchy that is forming.

Are you going to try to keep them equal?

Roc

Troubadour
Hierarchy in the sense that some Orders are more important than others — some are worthless, that sort of thing. Perhaps the Order of Strength or whatever is more powerful and important than the Order of Vitality.

I was curious how you were going to handle that.

Phietadix

Auror
What orders are useless? If some really are then that's a problem. But yea strength should proabably be given more power.