• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Ugg, This sucks. I'm stuck, lost, and want to start over. But i desperatly don't.

The reason I do this is to keep myself organized when I write. I tried to write multiple characters into single chapters moving from one to the other as the "inspiration" struck me. I ended up getting disorganized and lost in the plot, and thus unsure where I was going. In some instances it worked but in the end it grew to confusing as to where the plot was going. That is mostly why I move from one to the other. As to why I don't write each scene involving that single character, it is partly because while I know the over all character, setting and every other plot of the story the actual details still remain to be discovered. I could write small things that I am certain of but doing each aspect of each characters plot helps paint/discover the overall picture I am trying to describe.

Next
Sorry I keep returning to this thread but I don't feel it justifies creating a new thread each time I have a question about a my story. I think this works better.
My next question involves items/clothing/weapons I have created. Thus far I tend to capitalize everything I have created in the story partly for my own sake to keep track of everything I create, and partly so emphasize that it's usage for the reader for the sake purpose of remembrance. Any thoughts on this? Anyone have a better idea to help me keep track of such things? What do you guys do? Sorry if it is kinda pointless but I thought I would ask.

Spread sheet, or an excell sheet would prolly help you out.

I have created in the story partly for my own sake to keep track of everything I create, and partly so emphasize that it's usage for the reader for the sake purpose of remembrance. Any thoughts on this?

If they are places, fine. If they are titles, fine. If they are things, like axe, wagon, or something that would not normally be capitalized, then don't. To make anything easier for the reader to read, follow normal grammar rules for capitalization. It Is Like This. Capitalization used incorrectly is obnoxious and annoying to those of us who read all the time. Our eyes and brain are trained to recognize the use of capitalization and when something is capitalized for the wrong reasons, it forces us to place importance on something that shouldn't have it.

ascanius

Inkling
Another quick question. Are the things I want each character to accomplish the same as the character goals. And second do character goals need to something the character is aware of? For some of my characters I don't necessarily want them to conquer some army or find a magical scroll but more importantly I want them to understand something about their nature and understand that they need to make changes. Can goals be something that characters have no idea about, making choices that they do not realize will impact them later on towards the realization of what they should do/change.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Another quick question. Are the things I want each character to accomplish the same as the character goals.

They can be, but this is not required. What a character wants, is all too often, not what that character needs. An alcoholic, for example, would really want that next bottle of rotgut - but what he needs is AA.

And second do character goals need to something the character is aware of? For some of my characters I don't necessarily want them to conquer some army or find a magical scroll but more importantly I want them to understand something about their nature and understand that they need to make changes.

This is the sort of thing that makes for great story telling - not just slaying the dragon or the dark lord, but understanding something important about themselves. It adds true depth to their characters.

Can goals be something that characters have no idea about, making choices that they do not realize will impact them later on towards the realization of what they should do/change.

Most definitely. In fact, this is how it should be.

The thing about epic quests isn't so much about the goal of the quest, but rather the changes that quest bestows on those who undertake it. The journey is more important than the destination.

They can be, but this is not required. What a character wants, is all too often, not what that character needs. An alcoholic, for example, would really want that next bottle of rotgut - but what he needs is AA.

And perhaps what he gets is neither -- stuck in a situation where there is no alcohol, and no support group to help him through withdrawal. And maybe he ends up sober anyway, but having gone through it in a much more painful, traumatic way than if he'd had AA around.

JamesTFHS

Scribe
Number one book just to help with writing is Teach Yourself Writing a Novel by Nigel Watts. it is like my bible i have read it hundreds of times. I too have had issues with my book to where i have restarted over 8 times in 6 years. Really dont let it stress you too much. If you really feel like you need to change the story because you have a better vision really consider it. Look over what you have and compare it to what you are now coming up with. if you feel like it needs a change do it. You might find you are happier that way. Take a break from writing and then just start reading what you have. Make sure the story is absolutly what you want. If it turns out your issues are names and places just change that. If it is just the plot and the world is what you want than rewrite. with your new ideas look at who they affect, what they affect and how much would change or be unbalanced if you just threw them in. You gotta makes sure your story is as air tight as possible. if you restart dont just delete everything keep it as notes to what you originally wanted out of your story. I hope this helps out.

ascanius

Inkling
Everything helps. So far I have been using internet sources on writing plot development, characters, character types, types of plot, the purpose of each type of plot and how they all relate to one another. But maybe having resource materiel on hand for questions would be better, not to mention more in depth, I may have to look into that book.
Now that my chem final is done, WHOOO!, Still have one more though, but after a get extremely smashed I will need to address my most current issue. I have come to realize while going over my plot that my characters are all over the place plot wise and location wise. I have organized my story into five parts, not books, and so far they have no interaction with each other, ecept two and sorta four. My main issue with this is..While character plot is coming easily for me I have neglected to think about the overall plot, the one that affects everything in the world. Is there any good way to write this? What I mean is this. Should I write one overarching plot with how each character contributes to each aspect of the plot to gain success. Like event 1. so and so does this, getting closer to the goal, while so and so does that hindering the goal. Or should I write a plot for each character and how it relates to the overarching plot, so basically every character has their own overarching plot. What do you guys do? So far I have three plots for each character, the character vs external stimuli, internal conflict, and impact/love interest. The plot involving the character and external stimuli is more of a short term reactionary plot that doesn't really deal with any overarching aspect.

Wormtongue

Minstrel
Another quick question. Are the things I want each character to accomplish the same as the character goals. And second do character goals need to something the character is aware of? For some of my characters I don't necessarily want them to conquer some army or find a magical scroll but more importantly I want them to understand something about their nature and understand that they need to make changes. Can goals be something that characters have no idea about, making choices that they do not realize will impact them later on towards the realization of what they should do/change.

In my case, in the end, what my protagonist NEEDS to do is exactly the last thing he WANTS to do. And hopefully the last thing the reader EXPECTS him to do.