• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Unusual titling:intriguing or gimmicky?

I'm thinking of changing my manuscript's title to Extraordinary. This is by no means the oddest title ever (I once read a book titled /, pronounced "slant"), but it's still a little gimmicky. Would you be more or less likely to read a book with an oddly written title?

Ireth

Myth Weaver
I think it could work. Terry Pratchett has a book titled "Faust Eric", and I've seen no indication that it's any less popular than his other books. Then again, Pratchett seems to be in that category of "you either love his works or hate them".

Sam Evren

Troubadour
I don't know if this helps/matters, but the first thought I had was formatting. If your cover's printed or custom art, that's not a problem, but its representation might be.

I went to look up the Pratchett book Ireth mentioned on Amazon and Barnes and Noble. I used "Faust" and Pratchett's full name as conditions. Eric did come back on Amazon, but not B&N, I had to changed conditions to "Eric."

If you're planning to market it, it might be more difficult to call out in a search, but more eye-catching to a browsing buyer.

Asterisk

Troubadour
I'm thinking of changing my manuscript's title to Extraordinary. This is by no means the oddest title ever (I once read a book titled /, pronounced "slant"), but it's still a little gimmicky. Would you be more or less likely to read a book with an oddly written title?

I love it. If I saw the book in a bookstore, I would totally pick it up. The title reminded me of Gordon Korman's "Ungifted", another intriguing title.

Hi,

Odd question but how would you go online to find this book "/". Where exactly in the alphabet (and so on book shelves in stores) does it go?

Cheers, Greg.

Hi,

Odd question but how would you go online to find this book "/". Where exactly in the alphabet (and so on book shelves in stores) does it go?

Cheers, Greg.

Depending on where you look, it's generally listed as either Slant or [Slant]. (A later edition was actually retitled Slant, presumably because there's no good way to pronounce /.)

Honestly, I think when the title truly depends on odd formats to work it's too likely to misfire. I don't even know if the "real title" is Ordinary or Extraordinary, and if I saw it in any of the umpteen media that couldn't display that --or heard it spoken-- I'd completely think it was something else. (I'm assuming that ambiguity is the title itself, and it isn't a book called Ordinary with a cover that includes the other words crossed out.)

There's "unorthodox" and then there's taking chances with the basics. Yes, Bear could get away with it; he has a following you don't, and so does Formerly-known-as-Prince. But I just don't think it's worth the gamble for us mortals.

You might try Extra/Ordinary. That can still print almost anywhere (except web addresses! you could use a hyphen in those places), and could be pronounced with a kind of half-pause that makes listeners properly curious.

Hi,

My point was more that people remember titles. And if the title isn't alphabetical finding the book through a search on line or on shelves is going to be a problem. Imagine if someone came to you and said I read this great book called /. How would you find it? Since as you point out you know the author, it's easier. Just as everyone knows The White Album. But imagine if the Beatles hadn't produced it, if it was instead by Joe Blogs. Then try finding an album with no name.

Cheers, Greg.

Braveface

Scribe
I think / is a bad example because I would pronounce that as 'slash' rather than 'slant'.

I would be put off, honestly. I find it a little gimmicky. But an unusual title, like that Joe Hill one, I wouldn't mind.

It is only when the title is ambiguous that I wouldn't like it.

It's all a matter of personal buttons. I would not pick up a book effectively called ordinary. To me the title says it could have been special but it's not.

Which is a shame because I'm always interested in Feo's opinions and wouldn't be surprised if I enjoyed his fiction.

It's all a matter of personal buttons. I would not pick up a book effectively called ordinary. To me the title says it could have been special but it's not.

I'm not sure what to make of this comment, so I'd like to ask for clarification. First, would you be interested at all in a book simply titled Ordinary? Second, would you be interested at all in a book called Extraordinary?