• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Urban Fantasy Recommendations

Velka

Sage
I'm looking for some recommendations for quality urban fantasy. I've tried a few, usually cheap deals I've found on BookBub, but I haven't finished any of them. My usual tastes lean towards the more 'traditional', if I wanted to sum it up in one adjective. High, epic, sword and sorcery types are what I usually read.

I'm not a big fan of steampunk, I like the aesthetic, but the literature (I've encountered) is meh.

I've had this little idea for an urban fantasy story sitting patiently in a Scrivner file forever now, and I desperately need a break from editing book 1 and writing book 2 of my WIPs. I want to play in this other world as a 'vacation', but I have absolutely no reference for it

Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, which I did finish and somewhat enjoy, is about the closest I have to go on, but it's set in the 19th century and the era I want to use is the 1920s-30s. (**Bonus points for urban fantasy set in this era!)

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
My go-to suggestions for urban fantasy are as follows:
- Dresden Files, by Jim Butcher (present day - lots of magic and fantasy - hidden from the public eye)
- Kitty Norville Series, by Carrie Vaughn (present day - werewolves (mostly) and vampires (mainly as side characters) - not hidden from the public eye)