• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Recommendations for Children's/Young Adult Adventure Fantasy?

Hello there. So I have been interested in adventure fantasy lately and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. I want a fantasy adventure novel (series or not) that is either in the children's fantasy/middle grade market or in the YA market. Everything from classics to more modern are welcomed!

I am yet to have a list of adventure fantasy i'm reading/already read but I guess Eragon by Christopher Paolini counts.

Alright, cannot wait to see what you guys recommend! Cya!

- ThatOneParanormalWriter

Mad Swede

Maester
I've always liked the Narnia stories, but of those there is one you must read and that is "The Horse and His Boy". I've always been hugely impressed by the way in which CS Lewis creates the realm of Calormen and details it in the first 100 pages or so. The food, the politics, its society. And it really is quite a grim and dark book - the way Lewis describes the scene where the Tisroc discusses Rabadash' plans to take Archenland with the Grand Vizier, and calmly notes that failure will likely mean Rabadash' death (so removing a threat to the Tisroc's rule) is an amazing bit of cynical realism for a childrens book. People talk about George Martin and Joe Abercrombie being dark and cynical, but in many ways Lewis got there first with this book.

Two other classics are the Hobbit and Harry Potter, though the last one is a bit more urban fantasy.

The mistborn trilogy, and Skyward series by Brandon Sanderson are also nice, they lean a bit more towards epic.

For a more humorous approach, you can try the Discworld novels featuring Tiffany Aching; The Wee Free Men, A Hat Full of Sky, Wintersmith, I Shall Wear Midnight and The Shepherd's Crown, by Terry Pratchett..