• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Recommendations for Children's/Young Adult Adventure Fantasy?

Hello there. So I have been interested in adventure fantasy lately and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. I want a fantasy adventure novel (series or not) that is either in the children's fantasy/middle grade market or in the YA market. Everything from classics to more modern are welcomed!

I am yet to have a list of adventure fantasy i'm reading/already read but I guess Eragon by Christopher Paolini counts.

Alright, cannot wait to see what you guys recommend! Cya!

- ThatOneParanormalWriter

Mad Swede

Auror
I've always liked the Narnia stories, but of those there is one you must read and that is "The Horse and His Boy". I've always been hugely impressed by the way in which CS Lewis creates the realm of Calormen and details it in the first 100 pages or so. The food, the politics, its society. And it really is quite a grim and dark book - the way Lewis describes the scene where the Tisroc discusses Rabadash' plans to take Archenland with the Grand Vizier, and calmly notes that failure will likely mean Rabadash' death (so removing a threat to the Tisroc's rule) is an amazing bit of cynical realism for a childrens book. People talk about George Martin and Joe Abercrombie being dark and cynical, but in many ways Lewis got there first with this book.

Two other classics are the Hobbit and Harry Potter, though the last one is a bit more urban fantasy.

The mistborn trilogy, and Skyward series by Brandon Sanderson are also nice, they lean a bit more towards epic.

For a more humorous approach, you can try the Discworld novels featuring Tiffany Aching; The Wee Free Men, A Hat Full of Sky, Wintersmith, I Shall Wear Midnight and The Shepherd's Crown, by Terry Pratchett..

AngelaRCox

Dreamer
Lloyd Alexander's Prydain series (including The Black Cauldron) is very excellent epic fantasy.
I second George MacDonald's The Princess and the Goblin for a very fairy tale feel.
Patricia Wrede's Enchanted Forest Chronicles. Excellent solid fantasy with interesting female characters.
Ronja, The Robber's Daughter by Astrid Lindgren.
Terry Pratchett wrote a number of excellent YA books--the earlier Bromeliad trilogy and the more recent Tiffany Aching books.
Those are mostly older, more classic books (the kind that I was reading at that age).
The students I tutor right now who are in your target age range absolutely adore the books in the Rick Riordan Presents imprint, which will give you a nice selection of what's getting onto shelves right now and what kids are reading that's current. I see kids reading these all the time (or stuffing them quickly into their backpacks right before a lesson starts, which is a great endorsement).

Ben Scotton

Scribe
I was actually thinking about this today before I found this thread! I've not come across much Children/YA fantasy fiction that I've enjoyed. Which is weird because I really like the Narnia series and the Hobbit.
George McDonald's "the Princess and the Goblin" is pretty good but not up there with Lewis for me.
Tried a couple of Brandon Sanderson's books but there was too little story and too much courtly politics.
Recently there's been the Wingfeather Saga by Andrew Peterson, it's OK, but not a classic.
Does Wind In The Willows count as fantasy?
Suppose I need to read some Terry Pratchett.

Last edited:

Rupali25

You should read the "Shatter Me Series"
The "Shatter Me" series is a young adult dystopian novel series written by Tahereh Mafi. As of my last knowledge update in September 2021, the series consists of six books, with additional novellas and a potential continuation of the series in the works. Here are the main books in the series:

1. "Shatter Me" (2011): The first book introduces us to Juliette Ferrars, a young girl with a deadly touch that can kill anyone she comes into physical contact with. She has been locked up in an asylum for her own safety and the safety of others. However, everything changes when she is released and recruited by a mysterious organization.
  2. "Unravel Me" (2013): In the second book, Juliette continues to grapple with her abilities and her role in the world. She becomes involved in a love triangle between Adam, a soldier with a powerful gift of his own, and Warner, the leader of the organization that recruited her.
  3. "Ignite Me" (2014): The third book follows Juliette as she becomes more confident in her abilities and takes a stand against the oppressive government. The love triangle intensifies, and the battle against the authoritarian regime escalates.
  4. "Restore Me" (2018): This book marks the beginning of a new trilogy within the series and picks up several weeks after the events of "Ignite Me." Juliette faces new challenges and threats as she assumes a leadership role, and the secrets of her world begin to unravel.
  5. "Defy Me" (2019): In the fifth book, Juliette's world becomes even more complicated as her past is revealed, and she must confront the consequences of her actions. The struggle for power and control intensifies.
  6. "Imagine Me" (2020): The sixth book in the series continues to explore Juliette's journey as she faces her ultimate enemy and the fate of the world hangs in the balance. It brings the series to a thrilling conclusion.