• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Using Prompts

Ned Marcus

Maester
How often do you use prompts to write stories? Have you ever used one to write a novel?

I've used them for short stories but never for anything longer, but for the first time in a long time, I have no immediate ideas for a novel and was thinking that it could be fun to try working with a prompt. Probably one I make up. It's worked well for flash fiction challenges I've run, but I've never tried it for anything longer.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I used to take prompts when I would enter contests. And once in a while in a thread when I feel up to doing something short. Never for a novel. That does not seem like something that would draw the type of energy I would put into a longer work. Maybe someday in the future.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
I know someone that uses Tarot as writing prompts. They know their decks well [they use them in their everyday life] and the images and meaning that are uncovered let them riff on new ideas.

Depends on what you mean with it. I don't use prompts I find on other websites.

I do however keep a list of fun ideas. These are just sentences which spark story images or fun setting ideas, or anything else I like. They're often the start of a story. Not so much that I'll start with the prompt and run with it. But more that they start the process of coming up with a story. For instance, my current project started with the sentence "a knight on heroin". Which gave me an idea for the main character. And a whole outline developed from there.

Mad Swede

Auror
Never. But I do sometimes get inspiration for a piece of text, text which I then write. If it doesn't fit into wehatever I'm working on it goes into the random text file for later re-reading and use. Some of those text pieces have led to novels or short stories.

I have, and perhaps never again. The story is both a literal and a loose interpretation, and it has been a useful exercise in many ways. Why never again? I think I can use my own research and imagination to now create my own prompts, but they can be a great way to use as brain training or if someone is starting out writing, like me.

In a way I’ve also taken ‘prompts’ from my larger world building to create shorter stories as a means to get inspired and explore my world more. That is fun.

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
Simple answer: No, never. The closest I've is a couple of weeks ago when a blogger/judge for SPFBO got several of the writers together, and we're all following her initial prompt and picking up where the other writers left off.

Fun, but in general, not how my brain and writing work together.

Never that I can recall. Like many, I have only followed prompts for challenges. It does sound like an entertaining goal, so if you go through with your plan, good luck!

Never. But I do sometimes get inspiration for a piece of text, text which I then write. If it doesn't fit into wehatever I'm working on it goes into the random text file for later re-reading and use. Some of those text pieces have led to novels or short stories.
This is very similar to the way I work, both with small and large ideas. It's especially useful for humour, which features strongly in all of my work. Whenever I (or a friend) come up with something funny I'll occasionally scribble it down and then include in my long list of bits for occasional use in a novel. Has worked very well over the years, although it's not the sort of thing that would work for everyone.

Have never used a prompt except in theatre sports.

AlexArcter

Dreamer
I use prompts to get the creativity flowing. If I'm feeling stuck when I'm working on something, I will sometimes switch to a different story, or do a prompt if I really need to do something fresh.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Beyond some writing challenges for fun, not really. But like most writers, I draw inspiration from all around me as I go through life. Whenever I get a spark of an idea, if I can't use it now because it doesn't fit into my work in progress, I put it into idea file for later. When I start a new project, I'll scan through the idea file for stuff that fits and throw it into the mix.

Ned Marcus

Maester
I've created a prompt that I like for a novel, and trying to stick to it; it's sparked a chain of other ideas. Maybe it can work for a standalone novel. I'll keep developing the idea.

With short stories, I know prompts can work (at least for me). Forcing myself to stick to them has worked—with some failures, of course. I usually create my own prompts. When I begin, I have no idea what kind of story will develop. I've not sold many short stories to magazines, but the few I have have all come from prompts I desperately tried to turn into stories over the course of a few days.

Now I'm wondering whether I should create a deadline for finishing the novel. I know that without one, my short stories would have dragged on for ten times as long or longer.

Ned Marcus

Maester
Simple answer: No, never. The closest I've is a couple of weeks ago when a blogger/judge for SPFBO got several of the writers together, and we're all following her initial prompt and picking up where the other writers left off.

Fun, but in general, not how my brain and writing work together.

How do you know? Not a criticism, I'm just curious. I run a fantasy/sf group, and many of the writers originally objected when I imposed prompts on them during our flash fiction challenges. They said they preferred something freer, and some wanted to be free to write anything they wanted. I stuck to my idea, and it's worked well. Some of the stories coming from people who thought they could never work with prompts have turned out to be really good. Of course, I'm not saying this is the only way to work, or that it would work for you. Just curious to ask...

Ned Marcus

Maester
I have, and perhaps never again. The story is both a literal and a loose interpretation, and it has been a useful exercise in many ways. Why never again? I think I can use my own research and imagination to now create my own prompts, but they can be a great way to use as brain training or if someone is starting out writing, like me.

Was this for a novel?

Demesnedenoir

Myth Weaver
It isn't how I function, but not saying I couldn't function that way.

How do you know? Not a criticism, I'm just curious. I run a fantasy/sf group, and many of the writers originally objected when I imposed prompts on them during our flash fiction challenges. They said they preferred something freer, and some wanted to be free to write anything they wanted. I stuck to my idea, and it's worked well. Some of the stories coming from people who thought they could never work with prompts have turned out to be really good. Of course, I'm not saying this is the only way to work, or that it would work for you. Just curious to ask...