• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Using short stories to market a longer work

When the "about the author" for a short story mentions that he has a book out, I sometimes buy the book. I'm currently trying to publish a longer work, so I figured I'd hold some stories and essays in reserve, submitting them after the book was approved for publication and using them to advertise it. But it's been months now, and there's no sign I'll get the book published anytime soon. Should I start trying to publish the stories now? (I'm still writing, just not submitting.)

Feel free to move this if it's in the wrong section. I assumed Marketing because I'm trying to market my book.

tlbodine

Troubadour
Do you have a release date yet?

If it were me, I'd start publishing now, and in the bio say something like "Feo Takahari's debut novel, Blah Blah, is scheduled to release on This Date from This Publisher. For more information, see His Website Right Here."

That way, people already kind of know your name before the book even comes out. With traditional publishing, it's all about the release, so the more people you have anticipating that book's arrival the better off you'll be.

(but keep writing and publishing short stories afterward, too. never stop.)

Do you have a release date yet?

If it were me, I'd start publishing now, and in the bio say something like "Feo Takahari's debut novel, Blah Blah, is scheduled to release on This Date from This Publisher. For more information, see His Website Right Here."

That way, people already kind of know your name before the book even comes out. With traditional publishing, it's all about the release, so the more people you have anticipating that book's arrival the better off you'll be.

(but keep writing and publishing short stories afterward, too. never stop.)

No release date, no confirmation the publisher will accept it (though it did make it past the first round of rejections.)

TWErvin2

Auror
Even after a novel's been accepted (which can take a long time...months or longer), it still has a long way to go: contract negotiation, scheduling of the editing/editing, ARCs, cover art, pre-release marketing, obtaining blurbs, etc.

Also, if you're seeking markets for your short stories and essays, this can take a while to run its course as well. And just like having a novel 'out there'...wherever your short stories or essays end up will influence what affect they might have on pointing attention to your novel.

How many eyes fall upon that market (magazine/ezine/blog/etc.)? is it the same or similar subject matter? Do they share some of the same readership that would be interested in your novel? How is the byline and how are the links or other redirections handled?

Remember, just because you write an essay or short story, that doesn't mean they'll get accepted. A similar process for markets for shorter works runs similar to how it does for longer works (novels).

So I guess there isn't an easy answer, and timing, without all of the variables at hand or controllable...it's not a shot in the dark, but also not a carefully timed and aimed shot.