• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Vivid dream I'd love to incorporate into writing one day

DLnight

Dreamer
This is a dream I had a couple of years back that I immediately took to pen and paper and it has always stuck with me.

We came to a rickety bridge that was too narrow and fragile for any vehicle to attempt to cross. We exited the car and all looked at one another, confused. "Looks like there's no other way." I started, looking around and seeing nothing but the depths and thickness of the forest around us.

One by one, we lined up to cross the bridge. It swayed and creaked, but it never showed any sign of giving out. All you could hear was the wind around us, and the creak of the wooden planks with every step that we took. I was pretty sure we were all holding out breath.

After what seemed like an eternity, but was only a matter of minutes, we all made it across the bridge. At that moment we all stood still, mesmerized by the scenery around us. It was as if we crossed the bridge into another world. The greenery around us wasn't just the regular green from the forest before the bridge. The shade of green had me picture that of an emerald jewel dressed in silk. The trees took a different shape here as well. The trunks didn't just go towards the sky, like you would picture when you think of a tree. They winded in every which direction, twisting around on another in loops and knots.

"Well, let's keep going." I broke the silents, pointing to the noticeable path in front of us. It was a little grown from time passing, but obvious of a trail well traveled.

After a while, how long none of us knew, we came to the end of the path. It was just a tree trunk, the bottom half the only thing left as if it had been cut down. However, it was massive. You could fit a good sized mansion on top. Around the tree trunk was a walkway that spiraled up the trunk to the top, the walkway looking like it was a trunk as well, cut longways instead of in half to make a road like shape. As we made our way to the top, a singing could be heard in the distance. The most beautiful, clear, purse singing you'd ever heard. I'd only heard this singing in movies or described in bookes.

"Sirens" I whispered. I wasn't sure how I knew that's what it was, but I did. At that time, I noticed my sister looking in a daze and starting to walk back down the spiraled trunk. "No!" I warned, "It's sirens. They're luring you to them." I grabbed her by the shoulders to stop her.

She blinked, the gloss from her eyes disappeared as she came back from her daze. A splash is heard in the distance as the siren swims away.

Finally, we reach the top. We're greeted with with a mirror that looked to be at least a hundred feet tall. It was trimmed in what looked to be gold, or maybe grass. It was old, whatever the trim was made of. The most shocking sight, though, is the image in the mirror. It was the reflection of a young girl. Her skin looked like porcelain and she had big crystal blue eyes with light brown hair flowed around her if it were in water.

Water. It surrounded us. Gushing around the platform that we stood on at rapid speeds.

"Hello, welcome to your story." The girl in the mirror spoke. Her voice rang through the air, a very soft and comforting tone. "Just come through the mirror, there's no need to worry."

Without hesitation, we all jumped towards the mirror. A second later I was submerged in water. Did I miss? I think I did. I was getting washed in circles as the current carried me around. I noticed a glint of reflections, though, as I was pulled out of the rapids.

I coughed, breathing deeply to catch my breath. I looked over the edge of the trunk's platform, squinting. It was then I realized the bottom of the current held hundreds, maybe thousands of mirrors.

"Other people's stories." The girl in the mirror explained. "Some people visit numerous times to complete them. You see how some seem partially colored in? That's their progress. Some mirrors get completely colored, some never do. Some ever return to see the ending."

pmmg

Myth Weaver
It is quite fantastical.

I feel like this is one of those revealing items, where I say... The bridge represents your journey, it is narrow and scary to look at, but actually all journeys look that way, but the crossing is easy. And the tree represents transcending, but the siren means danger.

In the end, I guess it means your story is not finished. Get on it.

BearBear

Archmage
Sounds very spiritual to me. I like the ending paragraph about the mirrors because it's right along the lines of what I like to believe.

My dreams lately have included Donald Trump (I seem to be dating one of his daughters) and Elon Musk (I'm giving him engineering advice and auditing his workers.) Neither would make a good book or story.

DLnight

Dreamer
Sounds very spiritual to me. I like the ending paragraph about the mirrors because it's right along the lines of what I like to believe.

My dreams lately have included Donald Trump (I seem to be dating one of his daughters) and Elon Musk (I'm giving him engineering advice and auditing his workers.) Neither would make a good book or story.
Wow, hey they might! Is Fictional Political Comedy a genre?

DLnight

Dreamer
It is quite fantastical.

I feel like this is one of those revealing items, where I say... The bridge represents your journey, it is narrow and scary to look at, but actually all journeys look that way, but the crossing is easy. And the tree represents transcending, but the siren means danger.

In the end, I guess it means your story is not finished. Get on it.
I like that interpretation of it. It's a dream that has always been bugging me in the back of my mind to continue with writing at some point in my life. Not sure why writing in particular but that's what it has resonated with me.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Well, for me personally, I almost never remember my dreams and they dont end up make good story fodder, but for you...it may be a great source. If something is in waiting to get out, let it out.