• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Most vivid and Harrowing Dream I have ever remembered

Phietadix

Auror
Very harrowing dream honestly.

So in this dream there's a wealthy family with a huge mansion that is apparently friends with my family. My sister was around at the start of the dream casually chatting with a member of the family, and they mentioned casually a couple times that they talk with my mother. At the start I go to the family looking to see if I can work for them again. As apparently in the past of this dream universe I had worked doing some relatively light housekeeping work in exchange for room and board in their massive mansion, and that's a fucking amazing deal so obviously dream me wants it again. They agree and the father begins taking me around the house reminding me of the layout of the house what my responsibilities would be.

This family apparently, somewhat openly, has a connection with the afterlife. Something they freely share with me and have me help with every Friday. What I help with is this ritual where they shepherd souls through their massive mansion, take them to some central location, and do what they claim is a ritual to peacefully send their souls to the afterlife.

The dream framed this ritual, however, as an obviously evil practice and one that was actually not at all a natural part of this world's afterlife (most blatantly shown in the inexplicable Neil Gaimen author interview that was for some reason part of this dream). The ritual itself is the part that's really fucking harrowing, as the souls are calling out for help and visibly seemingly to drain away in vitality. It is heavily implied that family is actually just draining the life force of these souls to allow themselves to live forever. (And potentially for the two children to not even ever grow up.) Dream me is terrified at this point which is compounded by the fact that soul-vamp mom seems to realize my terror and tries ensure I don't communicate anything I shouldn't with the outside world. She reminds me, in what seems to have been her attempt to be gentle but really wasn't, that communication devices weren't allowed for workers of this house
She then reveals that they've taken one phone that I had concealed, and gives some very thinly veils threats about what would happen if I'm found with another one. Dream me is terrified at the point, partially because I just saw at least 50 souls get drained, and partially because I know that I'm concealing another phone, but I'm able to hold it together enough to deny that I had any other communication devices concealed. The dream ends there with me discovering where the room I had been staying in had been torn up to find the first phone and me in terror trying to figure out what to do.

Phietadix

Auror
I'd be highly tempted to turn this into a story sometime, but "shockingly" my subconscious mind did not do a very good job of making the timeline coherent. So that's something I'd need to fix

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Hide the phone in your sisters room obviously.

I never remember my dreams. That sounds like a good back drop for a story. writing it will probably fix the timeline issues.

Phietadix

Auror
Hide the phone in your sisters room obviously.

I never remember my dreams. That sounds like a good back drop for a story. writing it will probably fix the timeline issues.

Sadly for dream me, my sister wasn't actually living in this house; she was just visiting

I also basically never remember my dreams. This one being so wild I made sure to write it down as soon as I had it though