• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Ways to increase tension

caters

Sage
I usually have tension in the form of verbal or emotional conflict. Very rarely do I actually have physical conflict and even then, the conflict isn't the main part.

The most common source of tension in my stories is arguments between 2 characters. Like for example, Robin and Lisa arguing over pregnancy. That is a source of tension. With 2 different personalities it is likely that 2 characters will argue.

I usually have tension in the form of verbal or emotional conflict. Very rarely do I actually have physical conflict and even then, the conflict isn't the main part.

The most common source of tension in my stories is arguments between 2 characters. Like for example, Robin and Lisa arguing over pregnancy. That is a source of tension. With 2 different personalities it is likely that 2 characters will argue.

I enjoy verbal/emotional conflict much more than I do physical conflict. Even with physical conflict, there has to be an emotional dimension or else it's meaningless and doesn't create tension.

Addison

Auror
I highly, beyond the moon highly, recommend "Writing With Conflict and Tension" from Writers Digest. There are so many ways to increase the tension in any scene. My favorite is Silence. Think of the final scene in Silence of the Lambs, it's pitch black, the killer is silent and the brave agent-to-be can't hear him as she stumbles around the basement. That is terrifying not because what we hear, but we're in her shoes as she doesn't hear or see anything while we see the killer RIGHT BEHIND HER!! Or the scene in "The Shining" as Nicholson is searching for his son through the hotel. When the pots and pans clatter to the floor it's more tense not because Nicholson now has a clue, but because the silence made it more powerful.

Another way I've found is, by itself or with silence, to get in the character's head in that moment of terror or anxiety and stretch out what they're feeling. We've all been in that moment where we're pissed, terrified or in such emotional state where time stands still and we're flooded with all kinds of thoughts, moments flashing before our eyes and all that crazy stuff. Share that moment with the readers.

Ooh, another recommended read to really see tensions with silence and other great elements is "1408" by the master himself, Stephen King. The movie version is pretty good with the tension too.

Last edited: