• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

We are just as important as neuroscientists

Hi All,

I'm curious of what you think of the following?

This profession is no less critical to the well-being of our culture than neuroscience, brain surgery, or cardiology, and to the extent that fact is not fully understood by the aspiring writer/author, mediocrity will be yielded.

Story teaches the tribe how to survive.
Story teaches the tribe how to thrive.
Story has been doing that for many thousand years.
Every human alive desperately needs Story.
Every human alive desperately wants Story.
Story is not a luxury item.
Story is not optional.
Story keeps the tribe alive.

Randy Ingermanson
How to Write a Dynamite Scene Using the Snowflake Method

Last edited:

Queshire

Istar
Mmm. Well, you're asking on a writing forum. I don't think you'll find too many here who disagree with the value of stories.

I think that mediocrity is kinda important for an aspiring author or writer though.

You need to build your foundations. As inspiring as something like Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones or whatever the hip, cool thing is amongst kids these days they are ultimately a trap if you hold yourself to that sort of standard.

Take things easy.

Live.
Think about life.
Weave that into your writing.

Mmm. Well, you're asking on a writing forum. I don't think you'll find too many here who disagree with the value of stories.

I think that mediocrity is kinda important for an aspiring author or writer though.

You need to build your foundations. As inspiring as something like Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones or whatever the hip, cool thing is amongst kids these days they are ultimately a trap if you hold yourself to that sort of standard.

Take things easy.

Live.
Think about life.
Weave that into your writing.
I think that's a fair assessment and great advice. I have a tendency to hold myself to really high standards, probably too high. Duly noted. Thank you!

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Well....he did give a citation at the bottom, so I think it is not likely AI that wrote it.

I would not discount the snowflake method, but it is not the method I use.

And...I could wax on poetically about the value of stories. I think they are terribly important. She shape us, and teach us, and carry in them the spirit of both ourselves and humanity. I have am personally very pleased to be a part of it. So many spend their lives working for someone else and never getting to aspire to what they could be if it could be set aside. I too work a day job, but at night, I am building something with meaning to me, and hopefully to us all (well, maybe not us all, but I don't care if some dont like it ;)

Neuroscientists have their role, but so do many other things. Who's to say what is most important?

Well, comparing the arts to science is always going to throw up the question of validity in terms of survival. Generally speaking if we’re talking about human existence, usually a civilised society, one that isn’t only concerned with day to day basic survival, is going to foster culture, and culture is the beginning and cornerstone of any civilisation.

You’re also connoting to the history of oral storytelling, which before writing was commonplace or mainstream, was an important part of any ‘tribe’ or group, yes not just for fun but for survival purposes too. What culture do you know that doesn’t have its folklore, fables and warnings?

I refer to this ideal when I’m writing my own stories and use storytelling traditions as part of the prose myself because I like that part of history so much myself.