• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Weight loss and fat acceptance

Scribble

Archmage
I'm late to the thread and have no desire to get in the middle of the fun debate between Scribble and Devor. I did, however, want to share a thought.

While losing weight is easy (expend more calories than you consume), finding the willpower to make the necessary changes is anything but. From my experience, one only loses weight when losing weight becomes important enough to overcome the bad habits (talking specifically about people who weigh too much b/c of non-medical reasons here) that led to the gain.

I've been overweight most of my life. When I got married over 10 years ago, I went on a diet and lost 45 pounds before the wedding. Over the next 9 years, I gained 20 of that back. Not great, but still 25 pounds to the good.

A year ago, we got a 2 year old foster child who we're in the process of adopting. It didn't take me long to decide that I wanted to be healthy enough to live to see him grow up.

I've lost an additional 45 pounds since then and don't doubt that I'll reach my goal of 30 more eventually.

There is absolutely no way anyone besides me could have convinced me to do what is necessary to lose the weight. It's hard saying "no" when a coworker brings cake or donuts. It's hard not buying junk food. It's hard choosing not to eat something I don't particularly like because I know it's good for me.

Not sure exactly what this added to the conversation, but there it is...

You outlined my struggle well. I had to train myself to say No. I make it automatic so I don't have a decision to make. The answer is always No thanks.

Will power is totally useless after a certain point. You've Got a Limited Supply of Willpower, so Use It Wisely

My wife is a baker. She's always making stuff. I have to be very careful in the kitchen. If I have a few drinks, my will power suffers even more. I might find myself eating some of the stuff that is not on my diet. It's hard! Hard to say no to your family, but it's my kids that will suffer if I get sick. I need to work, they want me to be out with them. If I'm too tired to go out and play soccer with them, who is going to teach them that they need to be out playing soccer?

I have a son who is 17. I've been fighting television and video games for 17 years. You can't just say turn it off, go outside and then sit your ass on the sofa. If you want to teach them, you've got to get up and do it yourself. You want them to eat healthy, YOU have to do it. That's not easy, I know, but health is the greatest gift you can give your children.

Last edited:

Scribble

Archmage
No worries there, I think I've run through it. The next step would be to either repeat, go personal, or go political. I'm not up for any of those.

I'm of the same opinion. I enjoyed the debate, I hope you didn't take any ill of it. I tried to hold myself back, but I am a seasoned message board pit fighter in a few well-worn categories, sometimes I get hold of one end of the stick and can't let go. :)

All respect to you sir. You raised some good points and I took them to heart, even if I held to my position.