1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

What are other good Writing Forums?

Discussion in 'Writing Resources' started by yoffi, Oct 26, 2019.

1. yoffi

yoffi Dreamer

Let me know!

2. skip.knox

skip.knox toujours gai, archie Moderator

Which ones (besides this one) have you found in your searches so far?

3. yoffi

yoffi Dreamer

Hi skip.knoxskip.knox! I've found:

fanstory.com (this seems to be all about the competitions)

writerscafe.org (which is kind of different to what I envision a classic forum to be like)

writersdigest.com (has some cool blog-style posts written nicely)

I like this one though as I think I'll be able to explore my lateral writing skills with other writers

Can you recommend any? :)

CelestialGrace likes this.
  4. skip.knox

Fantasy Faction
    Science Fiction & Fantasy forums
    Specifically for fantasy, but there are many excellent forums for writing more generally. The best thing is to do your own searching, join, participate, then settle on the ones that best suit you. That's what I did. I was on probably a dozen or more forums, which got rather overwhelming for a time, but eventually settled on just three.

CelestialGrace and Black Dragon like this.
  5. yoffi

yoffi Dreamer

3 sounds like the magic number. I'll try and have a look at more fantasy forums and let you know what I find.

This is a great way to practice writing though... being active in forums. Better than posting on your facebook wall because then all your friends can see your words, which is a little daunting!

6. Devor

Devor Fiery Keeper of the Hat Moderator

In addition to the ones mentioned above, Amazon has its own forum community, and there's a number of subreddits you could look at. You'd also be remiss not to consider places like goodreads, scribophile, or wattpad. While they're not exactly forums, they make a good blend of related activities.

For full disclosure, at one point or another I've looked closely at each of the sites mentioned so far and I don't use any of them. I do keep a fanfiction on Archive of Our Own (AO3). And I follow a bunch of fantasy art pages on facebook for inspiration. But I have to consider not only where can I get information from, but also where can I contribute the most. Spreading myself thin across too many sites didn't feel like a great way to contribute much of anything.

Black Dragon likes this.
  7. skip.knox

I like forums because they're communities. We've pretty much lost our neighborhoods, at least in the post-industrial West, and forums offer something akin to that--people who are not so close as friends, yet are not strangers or that odd condition known as co-worker. They're people with whom one has casual conversations that can turn thoughtful, talk around common interests, share a joke or two. Community provides, or can provide, information, support, even wisdom. Facebook is too noisy, Twitter manages to be noisy and superficial as well. Instagram and Pinterest are the online equivalent of waving placards. Forums--going all the way back to the era of listserv and Compuserv--are uniquely suited to the camaraderie of text. It's worth spending the time to find the community that suits you best.

8. Aldarion

Aldarion Troubadour

Ya, that is true. I am active here and occasionally at WritingForums; other than that, I also visit SFFChronicles on occasion, though I almost never post. Other forums I visit are not writing forums though they are related to literature (Lord of the Rings and A Song of Ice and Fire, specifically).

CelestialGrace and Black Dragon like this.
  9. Ned Marcus

Ned Marcus Troubadour

For me it's here and Fantasy Faction. I joined some others but hardly post in them.

10. yoffi

yoffi Dreamer

I'm starting to realize forums are a great way to cut through the noise of social media. This, so far has been the most engaging forum!
    I will check out the reddit writers pages too.
    I got banned from SFFChroniclesI think it's because I name dropped "Netflix" but I wasn't trying to promote it I was trying to give authentic advice to watch shows with the Audio Descriptions and subtitles on to improve conversational writing. Oops.

Thanks Ned MarcusNed Marcus I'll try Fantasy Faction!

Ned Marcus and CelestialGrace like this.
  11. Devor

Devor Fiery Keeper of the Hat Moderator

There's also the worldsmyths forum. They're smaller and newer than the others but very friendly.

12. Adela

Adela Scribe

Joined one some time ago whose forum is called the Absolute Write Water Cooler Needlesstosay, I post very little and haven't really gotten to know anyone. The place is overwhelming and don't get nearly as much information or camaraderie as I get here. It covers SO MUCH and is so wide ranging with so many genres and members it's extremely hard to keep up with. I could spend an entire day on it.

I'd rather write. Or spend my time here.

CelestialGrace likes this.
  13. skip.knox

Agreed on the Water Cooler. It's a great place, but Mythic Scribes is like hanging out at the best pub ever while the Water Cooler is more like wandering through downtown New York.

Ned Marcus, CelestialGrace and Adela like this.
  14. CelestialGrace

CelestialGrace Minstrel

Apart from the one I'm building this is the only writing forum I'm on at the moment. I dropped back years ago, and now I'm finding that the other writing communities on other SM platforms not as helpful as I once found them. It's become too much like shouting into the void. I'm going to check out all the suggestions here; though I may find that just as overwhelming over time.