• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What are some of your 'habits' in writing?

Thank you, PMMG I really do appreciate the vote of confidence, it helps!
I had forgotten about how much Herbert used the word 'bark' lol, about as much as he loved bringing Duncan Idaho back!

Overuse of words is something for which I'm always vigilant.

Have stopped using words like suddenly; actual/actually.

Anything that looks remotely like a standard phrase - gone, unless relevantly said by a character.

Any unnecessary word - gone.

Like others I use elipses to give proper rhythm to sentences - especially dialogue. I always read aloud for at least one editing pass which helps to find the best rhythm/phrasing.

And any incident/section that doesn't drive the plot forward - gone.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I don't mind writing exposition, but I find that comes quite late in the revision process. I need to know what the scene is about, as well as know if there's anything I need to foreshadow or to call back to, so I know which details to bring forward. Otherwise, I am just writing stuff. It does lead to a great many white rooms in early drafts, but I hunt them down.

Gurkhal

Auror
I'm getting back and making some progress with writing again. Finally. And my current habit is to write a little, little as often as I can. If I reach a segment that I don't know how to proceed with, I write some crap to get past it and figure I'll go back further down the line and fix it.

But right now it feels to me like momentum is the key.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I'm getting back and making some progress with writing again. Finally. And my current habit is to write a little, little as often as I can. If I reach a segment that I don't know how to proceed with, I write some crap to get past it and figure I'll go back further down the line and fix it.

But right now it feels to me like momentum is the key.
Pretty much my plan.