• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What Are You Playing Now?

I used to play Skyrim, and to be fair I did have a certain degree of fun with it. But I wouldn't really want to play it again. I think the best way to sum it up is, it's a game as wide as an ocean, but as deep as a puddle.

Describes it perfectly. For all its land's breadth and the occasional really odd dreamquest, it's pretty much made up of ten thousand different backstories to ask you to go into either a den of bandits or a barrow of draugar.

I have completed Dragon Age: origins and am playing Dragon Age 2. I'm actually very excited for Dragon Age: Inquisition! However, I am also playing CoD: Ghosts as well as others. I've completed other games leaving these games as one of the only ones I have not played. also excited for Halo 5 and Mass Effect 4.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Is it officially going to be called Mass Effect 4? I'm just curious because I heard Shepherd isn't involved, so it's kind of a spin-off or separate story from the original series.

Whatever they decide to call it, I can't wait to play the next Mass Effect. I don't see how they could possibly make another one, given how much they butchered the ending, but still...

The Maven

Scribe
I used to play a lot of RPGs. They were among my favorite because of the depth of the stories. Especially final fantasy, just felt like you got value for money.

Alas all that changed and I no longer play as many games.

All because... of Dota 2! :D

The Maven

Scribe
Gryphos that comparison of Skyrim though XD classic! It was quite sad that the main quest if followed through quickly was so shortlived. That being said, the talks with Parthonax at the top of that mountain were quite intriguing.

Gryphos

Auror
Recently finished Mark of the Ninja, and I would say anyone who loves stealth games should pick it up, because it is probably the best and most well-designed stealth games I've ever played.

One thing it truly excels in communicating information to the player, such as easy-to-read indicators of how much noise you're making and what state of suspicion guards are in. It's two-dimensional, which some may think reduces the depth of gameplay, in fact only enhances it by, again, making information easily accessible to the player.

Another plus is that it's one of the only accurate representations of ninjas in gaming. No cutting through armies of enemies like Raiden, more sticking to the shadows and killing targets quietly.

teacup

Auror
I've had Dark Souls 2 for weeks on Steam, now, but I've yet to play it. I have a new computer and all I need is a new video card then I can play. Hopefully I'll be getting it on monday. I'm looking forward to it. I love Dark Souls 1, and though I heard it is way better than #2 and that #2 isn't as hard, it still seems a great game.

Gryphos

Auror
I've had Dark Souls 2 for weeks on Steam, now, but I've yet to play it. I have a new computer and all I need is a new video card then I can play. Hopefully I'll be getting it on monday. I'm looking forward to it. I love Dark Souls 1, and though I heard it is way better than #2 and that #2 isn't as hard, it still seems a great game.

I have to agree with that sentiment. While Dark Souls 1 is better overall, Dark Souls 2 is still a phenomenal game and well worth playing. And it did make a bunch of mechanical improvements.

Creed

Sage
Replaying The Witcher Enhanced Edition and then the Witcher 2 in prep for the third one! Wut wut!
Also working through Arcania - Gothic 4.
Gryphos mentioned Mount & Blade. This is a definite recommendation, especially since Warband is working with the Steam Workshop so that means mods! There's a Clash of Kings one, I think, but I really want a LotR mod!
It helped me with imagining sieges, I think. I did one with 200 men at my back, and I feel like Mount and Blade is just a good game for helping writers like us imagine medieval combat in general.
EDIT: Okay, don't go looking for in depth combat. Expect a lot of overhead chops... I mean like in terms of numbers and dimensions and stuff.

Mythopoet

Auror
I've been enjoying season 2 of the living story in Guild Wars 2 with my husband lately. My character recently had her mind opened up to the Eternal Alchemy and the world is being threatened by another Elder Dragon. Can't wait to see how the story continues in the next installment on the 12th.

Smith

Minstrel
Watchdogs. I'm having a hard time getting into it, it's kinda like GTA so far (not that it's a bad thing, but I might as well just play GTA 5), but hopefully it'll find its legs soon.

Gryphos

Auror
Just beat Portal again. Widely held to be one of the best games of all time and for good reason. Excellent portal-based puzzles with great dry wit humour thrown in, all condensed into a neat two hour or so experience.

Ankari

Hero Breaker
just beat Last of Us: Remastered for the PS4. Excellent story. I didn't expect the game to end the way it did.

MFreako

Troubadour
just beat Last of Us: Remastered for the PS4. Excellent story. I didn't expect the game to end the way it did.

I'm a big geek for this game. Truly an exceptional story. It really makes a statement about the story-telling potential of video games.

I think I might have too many on my plate, but good ones at least :) Dragon's Dogma, which is sooo much better than it was ever given credit for. Beautifully vast world, great combat that flows very well, an interesting story that I'm still unfolding because the distraction and joy of various side-quests and exploration. I was playing Yakuza 4 before that, but I needed to step away from what felt like repetitious gameplay. That actually might be due to the fact of my impatience of wanting more of the wonderfully crafted story. Super Robot Taisen OG 2nd is on the back-burner at the moment til I have more time for a SRPG, a little Eternal Sonata every know and then, but currently delved into Guild Wars 2 (one of if not best MMO) and Final Fantasy XIV (another I find to be exceptional).

Dragon's Dogma is fun. It was the first game that struck me as a happy medium between Dragon Age's story power and Skyrim's "too big for storylines" scope. And, climbing up a cyclops's leg to cut at its head is as much fun as you'd think. (Careful with the mages, though. It has the coolest looking spells I've ever seen, but since you can barely aim them you're only "start the spell now and hope I get through it without being hit, then see where it detonates.")

Now that I've gotten through Dragon Age Inquisition I'm back to Diablo III. It's a decent obstacle course of a game that lets you try out different characters and combinations of dozens of different attacks for each, so it's fun to keep rediscovering. Time to stop letting my Demon Hunter's bow do all the work and see if I can handle a Monk's fists. :)

Tom

Istar
Not playing anything at the moment. I was going to join my cousins' Star Wars: Old Republic group, but my computer won't support it. Baaaaahhhh.

We're also talking about resuming our Call of Duty and Halo sessions, but so far it's kind of slow-moving. Work and college are getting in the way for everybody. I also don't have XBox Live, so I have to visit if I want to play with them.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
My shoulder's damaged at the moment, so I can't really play any mouse games, and I should take it easy with the typing. I've got some gamepad based games on the PC though, and most recently I played Ori and the Blind Forest. It was pretty fun all the way until my save broke shortly before the last boss encounter.

The game is pretty, with a vast world to explore, and the controls are fairly tight. If you're into platformers and Legend of Zelda, I'd suggest checking it out.