• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What sounds a name?

thejdubb02

Dreamer
Hey everyone,

So I am writing my first book, and I am just about done with the first draft of chapter 1. What I am wondering is, in my outline in parenthesis next to each name I wrote its phonetics and how I would want it said or its pronunciation. If that makes sense.

I want to know, would you somehow incorporate that into your book for any reason? I have never noticed it before in books so I am thinking that's a no, but I figured I would ask.

My other question is, would you add some kind of appendix that might have this information and some details about each character?

Thanks

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
An appendix would work and some books do have a cast-list [for lack of a better term] where you could include/explain such information. That said, unless the exact pronunciation of a name is essential to the plot, I'd leave it up to the readers to work it out for themselves. If it was just one name that needed clarification you could include that in a scene where someone gets it wrong...
[Unfortunately I now have Blazzing Saddles on the brain and someone saying "It's not *Hedy*, it's *Hedley*. Hedley Lamarr."]

Butterfly

Auror
I've read books (such as Katherine Kerr's Deverry series) that has these pronounciation guides at the front and a glossary at the back.

Speaking personally though I would spell the word the way it is meant to sound rather than try to develop a more fantastical spelling. I find them distracting if they are meant to say something other than what my mind automatically thinks it says. But that's just my preference.

OGone

Troubadour
I don't think the way the reader pronounces a character's name is going to affect the story too much. If you're going into deep world building and you've got a whole language constructed with everything mapped out in IPA then you could include a key. If you're just doing it for a couple names then my recommendation would be to either leave it to the reader or spell it how it sounds.

Agreed, it's distracting to make spellings and pronunciations clash.

Still, in our world (like say, most of English) that usually happens because the spelling came from a different language or tradition, that doesn't match it with pronunciation the same way other words do. So if you really wanted a strong sense of history and the exotic, you could have a few odd spellings, if you made it clear from the start that these were exotic names. One way would be to do this with only one or two main names, and have characters immediately debate how it's spelled and how odd it is. (Which is tricky because most people don't think of spelling when they first meet someone... well, maybe if they'd first seen the name in writing and now are surprised by the sound, or they had a humungous alphabet like Japan's...)

Still, it's best to do this with only one or two names, and have some minor names in the background the reader can see are similar and kind find in the glossary. And all of this is really just a way for an author to show off, to make an effort if a different kind of spelling is important to the sense of background-- it's not worth it just because one odd spelling seems cool.

SineNomine

Minstrel
You can do it if you feel the need, but ultimately it isn't done very often because it simply doesn't really matter. It's one thing if your story is a vehicle for language in the way that Tolkein's was, but for most people correct pronunciation of a character's name just isn't important.

If you want to be clever about it, find a reason to rhyme the character's name in novel. A lover's poem? A Cheshire cat type antagonist taunting?

dhrichards

Dreamer
To follow up SineNomine's suggestion, if you have a character with a difficult name have them introduce themselves as you might in the real world - "My name is -X- rhymes with -blank-"
Dave

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
My advice would be to make names as easy to pronounce a possible. From my experience, I tend to blank the word if I can't understand it. If I end up, especially early on, with sentences like this:

Blank jumped on Blank and galloped across the Blank Plain.

I'd tend to give up pretty easily.

That's not to say it can't be done, just that you're creating an obstacle for yourself. Make sure that a) creation of the obstacle is worth it to you and b) you take steps to mitigate the obstacle.

I certainly didn't give up reading WoT because of a few words and names I couldn't pronounce.

EDIT: Additionally, I'm not going to read your pronunciation guide. If it's at the front, I'd skip it to get to the story. I simply don't care enough, especially when I have nothing invested in your story, to invest that kind of time.

Last edited:

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Another vote against difficult names: no matter what sort of guide you give, some of your readers are going to pronounce it differently. Some of your readers will be French or Spanish or Dutch ... or from Boston. ;) It's not a battle you are going to win.

thejdubb02

Dreamer
Awesome feedback everyone. Really appreciate. In this case, you have all convinced me that its better that the reader figure it out anyway, that way as them move through the book they are not going to need to reference everytime until the get it
'right.'

SeverinR

Vala
I couldn't pronounce his name, so I just called him Fred. He was riding a horse, whos name I couldn't pronounce so we'll just call him Fred.
Now Fred's riding Fred, ridin Fred, ridin Fred, Fred's riding Fred.

I have just called one Bud, One sabre guy, Fred, and went on a Scooby do rant, called the several characters Fred, Velma, Daffney, and Shaggy.
I give a name about three to ten seconds to pronounce, then move on.

yachtcaptcolby

Minstrel
I understand why names based on other languages are sometimes difficult to read and pronounce, but I've always tried to keep my names easy to sound out. I've always found difficult names distracting to read so I avoid using them myself. If you want to use them, maybe consider relying on easier nicknames instead.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
When I read a book and I can't pronounce the name, e.g. names with apostrophes or with over a dozen syllables, I don't go looking for a pronunciation guide. The names just become a block of familiar letters that start with a certain letter. That's why it can become confusing if there are two characters who's names start with the same letter.

I wouldn't worry about correct pronunciation. There will always be people who pronounce it wrong even if the spelling is simple. For example, when I was reading Game of Thrones. In my head I was pronouncing Daenerys Targaryen slightly different. I pronounced Daenerys properly, but Targaryen, I prounounced Tah-gar-yen. It didn't really matter because the shape of the name was unique.

IMHO as long as you keep the shapes of the name unique, people can still follow the story with out much confusion. It's easy enough to tell the difference between Eashfenhaldenishi and Zalhaladenhalmah, but much more difficult if it was this, Eashfenhaldenishi and Ealhaladenhalmah.

Lawfire

Sage
When I read a book and I can't pronounce the name, e.g. names with apostrophes or with over a dozen syllables, I don't go looking for a pronunciation guide. The names just become a block of familiar letters that start with a certain letter. That's why it can become confusing if there are two characters who's names start with the same letter.

I'll second that. I tend to notice a pattern of familiar letters for difficult names as well.