• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

When you start a book that is quite different from what you've been writing....

Arranah

Troubadour
When you start a book that is quite different from what you've been writing...how do you approach it? How do you free your mind to be open to what needs to be there? I know some very famous people got drunk on a regular basis and it freed them, I suppose. I don't plan to get drunk or stoned or any such thing. I just want realistic verbal exchanges between my protagonist and my animals characters. Any ideas?

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
It's hard to break out of old patterns. It might help to start with some exercises, and also reading new things like what you're aiming to write to sort of immerse yourself in what you're up to now. Write a little fanfiction in a similar type of story (it's easier to isolate the area you need practice with by picking the right fanfic to write). You can force yourself to just keep writing the new stuff, even if it's bad, because sometimes that's how you get better at.

For a more meditative type of approach, take a moment to breathe and all, but then try to picture the person you're writing your story to, like a letter. Maybe it's a real person, maybe it's not. But imagine you're writing to this person, instead of for yourself. How do you talk to that person? How do you get that person to smile? Do you talk slower or faster? More detail or less? Tell them about your character. Your story. Tell them out loud what you're trying to do with the scene, or the character, or whatever other spot you're working on. Talk through it, but focus on talking about it to this other person, to get out of your own head.

For another angle, maybe your new writing doesn't need to be that much different from your old writing after all. Maybe you just need to find your groove, and figure out how your style meshes right with this story, and it's just a bit of anxiety holding you up. Maybe it's all head games, and you just need to relax, let them go, and get to work.

Arranah

Troubadour
Thanks for your in put. I don't intend to change my writing style. I like it, the way it is. It's the subject matter. Nothing is holding me up. I'm finishing up another book. It is at the reader now. I will make the corrections, prepare it for publication, etc. I just want to know how you individually approach a story line that is very different than others you have done. I've been writing for a very long time. I don't need writing advice per se. I'd like to know what you do.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I don't need writing advice per se. I'd like to know what you do.

Oh. Well, personally I just try to play around with the ideas and have fun with it, and usually stumble into some new writing tricks along with the way.

Arranah

Troubadour
Have you ever done a story where animals and people talk out-loud verbally to each other?

Gwynndamere

Dreamer
I write Fantasy but had a young adult romance story that kept bouncing around in my head. The theme and characters would not leave me alone! . I did some research on the geography of where the story was taking place and read other YA romance books too. In the end you just have to take the leap & write it. I don’t know if I will write anything else in that genre but it was an interesting experience.

Insolent Lad

Maester
I attempt to alternate my genres with each project. Write a fantasy novel, write a mainstream, etc. to keep from getting into a rut (and because I have loads of ideas for all of them). I have tried to vary my voice but I very much notice a tendency to revert to one that seems to come naturally to me. Going with different POVs can help; first person from a distinct character's viewpoint, for example, can help me get away from 'my' voice. But I don't sweat it that much. I am who I am and I have my way of writing.

Arranah

Troubadour
Thanks for the input. On occasion I use first person. Except for my nonfiction books, I write in the same genre...except my work doesn't really fit into one. It's a mix. I'm in the playing around with it in my head stage.